Lou's Reviews > The Waste Lands

Sep 24, 11

bookshelves: may-read
Read from May 02 to 26, 2011

Photobucket
The beam all things serve it!
A multi-layered story of thrill and adventure.
A band of pilgrims, knights set upon a journey, a journey in ultimately that they will come to realise fear and terror, love and courage. Journey to a ultimate goal a destination the Tower and this strikes a similarity to our own goals and journeys today to happiness and sadness, paradise and hell, success and failure, light or darkness. As we follow this band upon their paths we warm to their fears and courage, humour and love. This is the magic of King's writing he uses normal people and pits them in mayhem, evil and demons and immerses us in the thick of it so well and you feel their struggle and success with fear and evil and prosper.
Reminiscent of Tolkien's Ring epic story and tales from H.P Lovecraft.
"Susannah, who had read her Tolkien, thought: This is what Frodo and Sam saw when they reached the heart of Mordor. These are the Cracks of Doom."

The merry band of pilgrims came to The Drawers and entered the waste lands.
I must bid farewell but the search for The Tower will now enter another chapter (book 4) as they are faced with the End-World, and a Dark malicious magician waiteth named the Wizard or the Ageless Stranger.

Robert Browning wrote a poem called "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came," and begins it describing this terrible and enigmatic figure 'The Wizard':
My first thought was, he lied in every word,
That hoary cripple, with malicious eye
Askance to watch the working of his lie
On mine, and mouth scarce able to afford
Suppression of the glee, that pursed and scored
It's edge, at one more victim gained thereby."

"All of Mid-World had become one vast haunted mansion in these strange latter days; all of Mid-World had become The Drawers; all of Mid-World had become a waste land, haunting and haunted"

“This closeness and sharing of minds is called khef, a word that means many other things in the original tongue of the Old World—water, birth, and life-force are only three of them. Be aware of it. For now, that’s all I want.”
“Each member of a ka-tet is like a piece in a puzzle. Taken by itself, each piece is a mystery, but when they are put together, they make a picture . . . or part of a picture. It may take a great many ka-tets to finish one picture. You mustn’t be surprised if you discover your lives have been touching in ways you haven’t seen until now. For one thing, each of you three is capable of knowing each other’s thoughts—”

“SEE YOU LATER, ALLIGATOR, AFTER A WHILE, CROCODILE, DON’T FORGET TO WRITE.”

Photobucket

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Waste Lands.

05/02/2011 page 90
05/23/2011
50.0% "Very good reading tense atmosphere they are about to enter the condemned mansion."
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manda (new)

Manda Kelley Does this series get better after the first one? I hated the first one :(

message 2: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Yes and the first is a book that needs rereading and you would like it second time I think.

message 3: by Manda (new)

Manda Kelley I just found the first to be a bit confusing and.boring

message 4: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Yes I understand maybe audiobook would clear the confusion.