Lou's Reviews > Norwegian Wood

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

May 16, 12

bookshelves: adapted-to-screen
Read from April 06 to 12, 2011

This Story is on one side a story of misadventure and a melancholic exploration of adolescent love and another side a thought-provoking and poignant study of memory, morality and mortality. Murakami never disappoints and always writes with a poetic richness that leaves almost every line hanging with symbolic possibility, loved it!
The main protagonist takes you back to the 1960s and his youthful goings on with his peers, his adventures are steamy so comes with adult warning! The story is set in thriving Tokyo and also shifts location to a relaxed mountainous retreat. You really get to love the characters that Murakami creates which I also felt with his other novel The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. To think that his works have been translated from Japanese into English and still hold a poetic and deeply thought-provoking quality is truly mesmerising stuff. It's by no means just a love story. This story is more about lived experiences, where his other novels have tones of supernatural and incorporated mind games. The book title if you are wondering is taken from a Beatles track 'Norwegian Wood' which is one of the novel's characters favourite songs.

There is a movie adapted from this book which is worth checking out, that was what gave me the incentive to read this book during April instead of 'Kafka on the Shore' of which i was more eager to read before this title. Thanks to the movie release prompting me, turned out was one excellent story of Love and Loss. Considering I used same procedure 'read the book watch the movie' with a few other novels and was disappointed with books like 'Let the right one in' 'Girl who played with fire' 'Never let me go' and 'Rosemary's baby' theres still hope for watching the movie adaptations of these titles, now I need to find time to watch these movies.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Review also here on my webpage

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Norwegian Wood.

Comments (showing 1-20)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Tricia :) My favorite Murakami book.

Kwesi 章英狮 I have to watch the movie, very very soon. Crossing fingers.

message 18: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Have you read the book

message 17: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Pagan-Gladfly Loved your review.
I must re-read this before I see the movie.
Treble the pleasure.

message 16: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Hard to get hold of the movie also still have few adaptations to watch thanks.

Kristina Noelle awww. Norwegian Wood, the first murakami book that i've read.. :) I loooove Midori so much... The movie's good too. :)

message 14: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Need to watch the movie soon.

Daniel I just finished "Wind-up," and I really enjoyed it. I've got this one on the to-read shelf, and I plan to squeeze it in before 1Q84 lands at the end of October.

Kwesi 章英狮 Nope, but I'm planning to read it soon. Currently saving money for another Murakami books after reading his Kafka which I consider as one of my best books.

message 11: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Daniel wrote: "I just finished "Wind-up," and I really enjoyed it. I've got this one on the to-read shelf, and I plan to squeeze it in before 1Q84 lands at the end of October."

Wind up is good dream like writing

message 10: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Kafka needs a read soon looks deep and long

Kristin Rose Kafka was my first Murakami. It's wondeful. And I read it on my horrible 9-day family Vegas trip. It was my saving grace. I think it's my favorite Murakami!

message 8: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Ah sorry for the trip, it's great how something translated into a language and still keep it's magic. Another good story I liked translated was Shadow of The Wind.

Kristin Rose And Sputnik Sweetheart is fantastic as well. Super short, intriguing read!

message 6: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian This is my first Murakami book. And definitely not going to be my last. :-) Loved the fact that the characters are all intriguing and they just evoke so much emotion. :-)

General H. Sassafras Hmm - this is a good book, no doubt, but I honestly didn't like it as much as Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World. I read this one in both English and Japanese, and I found that there were a few things lost in translation, but for the most part, it still was kind of blah in comparison to his others.

Pete Wyeth Such a wonderful book. Easily makes my top five favourites. It has everything that I look for in a novel. Murakami never fails to captivate me.

Nhật Minh The book has some attractions that the movie cannot have :) i still keep the origin of interest when read and re-read many times the words Murakami used to describe the beauty of Naoko. Awesome! It's art!

message 2: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. Eigh Wow, Lou, you nailed it. "Symbolic possibility." Right one!

Carlos Aleman I saw the movie. It seemed so different from the book.