Kat's Reviews > The Icing on the Cupcake

1967788
Jun 10, 10

bookshelves: chick-lit, read-in-2010, cookbooks
Read from May 21 to June 10, 2010, read count: 1

I was intrigued by the cover of this book when I saw first saw it. So I picked it up, hoping I'd like the story as much as I like the cupcakes on the cover.

This novel has a premise that's been seen before in other books of the chick lit genre: a young woman thinks she has it all, then loses the man she loves, and must figure out how to rebuild her life and start anew. Ansley Waller is a Dallas debutante who's graduating from college and marrying the perfect guy. But when he abruptly dumps her, she realizes that her dreams of being a stay-at-home mother and wife aren't going to come true as soon as she thought they would. On impulse, she decides to move to New York to live with a grandmother she doesn't even know. As expected, she gets off to a rough start. But, also as expected, she gets back on her feet and proves she can be an independent woman.

The characters in The Icing on the Cupcake aren't very likable, in my opinion. The protagonist Ansley admits she's been mean her whole life. Even when she changes her ways after living in New York for a while, I still didn't sympathize with her. Nor did I sympathize with her grandmother Vivian. Part of why it took me so long to finish this book is because I just didn't care about the characters or what happens to them. I'm not motivated to read about people whom I couldn't care less about.

I found some grammatical errors in this book, which really irritates me when reading a widely published novel such as this. Is there seriously a lack of good editors in the publishing industry who can distinguish the difference between "its" and "it's"?

The plus side to this book are the cupcake recipes that close out each chapter. Also, throughout the novel, random baking tips are dispensed through the characters or in the recipe book that's been handed down by the women in Ansley's family. For example, two tablespoons of potato starch added to cupcake batter will produce a moist cupcake. I don't know if that's necessarily true, but I'm sort of curious to find out.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Icing on the Cupcake.

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma So do cupcakes promised by the cover come into the story itself much or are they just there as recipes?

I'm curious about that potato starch stuff too now... Let me know if you find out is it's true or not!

message 2: by Kat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat Emma wrote: "So do cupcakes promised by the cover come into the story itself much or are they just there as recipes?

The cupcakes are definitely part of the story. The characters bake a lot and are inspired by events in the book to create new cupcakes (e.g., "Green With Envy" cupcakes, "Bittersweet Paris" cupcakes and "Baby, I Don't Love You" cupcakes).

I know, isn't the starch thing intriguing? I might have to throw some into a Martha Stewart recipe. ;)