Gail's Reviews > Monkeewrench

Monkeewrench by P.J. Tracy

Sep 15, 10

bookshelves: library-book, mystery
Read in September, 2010

This is apparently the opening book in the Tracy "Monkeewrench" series, but it doesn't read like one. It reads like a standalone. It opens with a murder in rural Wisconsin, two members of the Catholic church, shot at church while praying. Then it shifts to Minneapolis. (Or St. Paul--don't exactly remember which--I'm not up on those far Northern cities.) There, we meet Grace, who carries a gun in the pocket of her robe even when sitting in the back yard. And we meet the police detective who gets called out to handle the murder of a jogger on the riverside. These three stories, with these three characters, putt along for a while before intersecting, but you Know they're going to intersect, and you maybe know how... The revelations come slowly, and there's still a shocking twist at the end, and the bad guys get theirs, and the good guys get away safe-ish. And I don't know how Tracy is going to turn this into a series, but I'm heading right back down to the library (maybe tomorrow) to find out.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monkeewrench.