Eileen Souza's Reviews > Drawing in the Dust

May 25, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: judaism, middle-east
Read from May 20 to 25, 2010

This was an ok book, but not great. Honestly, I think my problem started because the book cover sounded so fascinating, and so I peeped at the back of the book at the author's acknowledgments before I started reading, and subsequently found out that the author had written the Scrolls of Anatiya (yes, I'm secular enough that I would never have known that) and even though those scrolls wound up becoming a prevalent part of the book, I just felt that it was conceited to then write a whole book about how the scrolls she had written herself were found. I couldn't get over it.

I did like the characters - although some were one dimensional, it felt like the cast of characters that one would come across today in modern Israel. I really like Mor. However the prose was excessively flowery, and unrealistic, and there was frankly too much quoting of bible passes in conversation.

It was a book that did not captivate me, and I could put it down while reading it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drawing in the Dust.