Matthew's Reviews > Flannery: A Life of Flannery O'Connor

Flannery by Brad Gooch

May 20, 10

This biography is indispensable for any follower of Flannery O'Connor's work. I first fell in love with O'Connor in a survey for American Literature that I took my junior year of college. We had read "Good Country People" and I immediately fell in love with O'Connor's wry sense of humor and comically grotesque characters. From there I read all of her short stories and novels. She has since gained a special place in my heart. This biography by Brad Gooch is a "revelation". He expertly reveals the hidden layers of this deeply private but very brilliant writer. I was surprised so few biographies have been written about O'Connor, but maybe her warning that a biography written about her would not be interesting dissuaded biographers. Gooch dispels O'Connor's worries and reveals a portrait of O'Connor that she herself would both love and appreciate. Written in an easily readable and inviting way, Gooch covers every aspect of O'Connor's life. From her early childhood and the death of her father, to her college days and time spent with the Fitzgeralds in Connecticut, and ultimately to O'Connor's own private battle with lupus. At times comic and tragic this biography is a beautiful dedication to Flannery O'Connor's life and importance as one of the best writers of the 20th Century. Highly Recommended!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flannery.