Carrie's Reviews > Savor the Moment

Savor the Moment by Nora Roberts

May 26, 10

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2010, humorous, chick-lit
Read from May 24 to 26, 2010

2.5* This book is difficult to rate because I both liked it and didn't. It was an okay story overall, and I liked the characters, although I did get tired of Laurel at times. Mostly, though, I got stuck on the "snappy dialog" that made everyone sound like characters out of a TV sit com or Rom Com movie. Not only did everyone in the book respond with one or two word phrases, but everyone sounded identical. Even the older Mrs. Grady spoke mainly in predicates. Some of the dialog was funny and clever, but it all sounded completely scripted, like the actors on a Disney channel tween show. So no matter how cute the story was, I was always completely distracted by dialog and the fact that no one talks that way in real life. (I know we don't talk in complete sentences all the time, but take a look at the book. Everyone answers in weird sentence fragments.) And, after 3 books, I'm over the "heart-warming groups of loyal best girlfriends." I started to feel a little gaggy at times. Everyone is so perfect and makes all these perfectly wonderful decisions.

I also got tired of the repeated descriptions of the characters workouts. I can maybe see describing the cakes, or flowers, but Parker's exercise routine? (and Laurel's, and Mac's, and Mal's, for goodness sakes!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Savor the Moment.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Samantha WOW! I guess NR wanted to show us that they are all toned and in shape and perfect little people. LOL! Oh boy, didn't sound like you enjoyed it as much as you wanted.

Lynsey A Reading this now and yes the workouts are excessive! Plus, there seem to be quite a few scenes with the clients and not as many with Del and Laurel as there should be.

Jenne I so agree about the workouts, and also how they are constantly taking tiny nibbles of food and feeling guilty about eating dessert!

If I wanted a diet book, I would read one.

Carrie Unfortunately, this book took away any interest I had in finishing the series. i checked the fourth book out of the library and returned it unread. I have so many books to read I don't want to spend time on a book I'm pretty sure before I start will just be "okay."

It's fine, though. I love Nora Robert's romantic suspense, and think I'll stick with those. she has enough to keep me busy! ;-)

Lynsey A Carrie,
I completely understand your reticence after finishing this one. Happily Ever After was actually pretty good. It was probably the best one in the series.

Well, I've done the same thing you have. There are so many other great books out there I would rather be reading than wasting my time on a book I'm sure will bore me. :)

Carrie thanks, Lynsey! It's good to know that Happily Ever After is worth reading. Since the library has it, I'll probably check it out again and give it a try. I do like closure! ;-)

Lynsey A No problem, Carrie. That one has a lot less exercise and extra friend time which was packed full in Savor the Moment.

willaful Drove me kind of crazy in book two when characters kept making the same joke...