Kristi's Reviews > The Highly Effective Detective Plays the Fool

The Highly Effective Detective Plays the Fool by Rick Yancey

Jun 10, 2010

bookshelves: fun-mysteries, mystery, private-investigator
Read from May 20 to June 09, 2010

I was at the library, and happened to walk by a shelf displaying this book. Boy, am I glad I did. This was a very witty, funny mystery story. It really had me laughing throughout, the dialog was wonderful. This book does not use the word "chapter," but instead calls them "scenes." While I was reading, I did feel like I was watching a fun detective show on TV.

Our PI, Teddy Ruzak, is hired to catch a woman's husband cheating. When his client goes missing, Teddy wonders: did she leave on her own, or is she dead? Teddy is also dealing with some personal problems; someone from the state is trying to close down his business and have him arrested (Teddy isn't actually a licensed PI), and his apartment manager has told him he must get rid of his dog or move out.

This was a fun story, and an engaging mystery. I was left wondering until the end. I also cared about the characters, and can't wait to read another Highly Effective Detective book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Highly Effective Detective Plays the Fool.