Alice's Reviews > Some Girls: My Life in a Harem

May 23, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: book-club
Read from May 20 to 22, 2010

(2.5 stars) This is a very quick, interesting read. The author is looking back at her 18-19 year old self who dropped out of NYU, became a stripper, became an escort, and ended up as a member of the Prince of Brunei's harem (this is all on the book jacket, so it's not a spoiler). While I really enjoyed some of the passages (the scenes where she spends spends spends in Chanel, Dolce & Gabbana, etc. are crazy), there are a lot of long boring flashbacks to her upper-middle class Jewish upbringing in Long Island. Since I grew up with a lot of middle-class Jewish girls in Westchester, this was really familiar and repetitive to me, especially as it seemed that the author dwelled on a lot of abusive situations without ever blaming her parents, instead internalizing a lot of the abuse. I would have liked to have seen some more reflection on the events that transpired in the harem, rather than the superficialities of the court (what girl was fighting with who, who wore what on what night, etc.). Overall a decent book club book or library read, but if you're looking for an epic memoir about either the sex trade or the life of the uber-rich oil monarchies, this is not it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Girls.