Ed's Reviews > Living Dead in Dallas

Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris

Jun 08, 10

bookshelves: 2-stars, part-of-a-series, 2010, read-on-kindle, guilty-pleasure, vampires
Read from May 20 to June 06, 2010

I am in a Catch-22 with these Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse novels and the TV series TRUE BLOOD. I am a big fan of the latter and have only read the first two books after watching each season that each were loosely based on. While there are differences between the two, there are enough similarities to kill the suspense/anticipation of the books... and "Living Dead in Dallas" has only confirmed my initial thought that the books pale in comparison to the TV series. Part of this is by necessity as the TV series must go beyond Sookie as the lone narrator, but to be honest, I am not sure Harris' writing stacks up to much beyond cheesy romance novel material compared to the style/edge/satire/humor of the TV series. I know it's unfair to keep comparing the two, but I can't put my thoughts about the show in a box. I give Harris credit for providing the inspiration and did find this a quick and entertaining read, but I am leaning towards not continuing on with the books. I certainly do not want to spoil upcoming seasons and have plenty of other literary guilty pleasure go-to books on my reading list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living Dead in Dallas.