Nocheevo's Reviews > Weapons of Choice

Weapons of Choice by John   Birmingham

Jan 08, 08

bookshelves: sci-fi, airport-novels
Read in January, 2008

As part of the post New Year recovery time to read a less taxing tale. The Axis of time triology is essentially an alternate history tale in which a future joint nations navel task force travels back in time to just before the Battle of Midway in 1942.

The writing isn't challenging and generally rips along with some interesting treatments such as ships being fused as a result of the time travel and how crew members handle time travel. Sure the 1942 guys are the ying to the future PC crews yang and the technology is layed on a little thick but its enjoyable. I especially enjoyed the 'easter eggs'.....character names based on references to current people.

I think I enjoyed this more due to reading an interview with the author in which he explains it started as a joke outline while musing in the library doing research for a magazine article. The treatment was liked by his publisher so he set out to write a techno-thriller tale to sell in the US market. I guess you can't be a starving artist all your life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Weapons of Choice.