Jessica's Reviews > The Nature and Destiny of Man, Vol 1

419287
Dec 12, 07

bookshelves: owned-for-years-but-still-not-read
Recommended for: lesley

I'm pretty sure Lesley left this here with me when she moved to Boston to play house with a Rockabilly who came from the Interweb. How I wound up leaving Don Quixote on the curb in Brooklyn but dragging this through four apartments in three boroughs in the years since is a complete mystery to me.... must have something to do with human nature, which is honestly not something I know much about. And you know what? I never will, and I can say that with some certainty because I just noticed this is "VOLUME ONE" of two, which confirms absolutely what I've long suspected, which is that I'm definitely never going to crack open this book, no matter what happens.

I'll probably carry it around with me, though, everywhere I move for the rest of my life, just to make myself feel weirdly guilty or something. And I'll do this because.... well, because that's how I roll. I don't know why. Must have something to do with the mysteries of human nature....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nature and Destiny of Man, Vol 1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (new)

Monica I have about 1 or 2 thousand books I haven't cracked open so I don't move anymore.

message 2: by Lesley (last edited Dec 13, 2007 01:25PM) (new)

Lesley I read parts of that Niebuhr book for a religion class I took in college but I cannot say I remember anything about it. Something about the nature of good and evil, probably. Justice? Something about war? I dunno. I remember we also read Buber, whose name is so funny to say. Buber. It makes me giggle much as does the word donkey. See. I laughed just now. Donkey. Hee hee.

Anyway, the only thing I remember for sure about Niebuhr is that he wrote the serenity prayer, a shortened version of which everybody says in unison at the end of AA meetings just before they say things like, "Keep coming back. It works!" or "It works if you work it so work it. You're worth it!" Go team! I know lots and lots of people think the serenity prayer is hackneyed, pedestrian, totally stupid, and ridiculously lame and I can definitely see what they're getting at. That said, I think the shortened AA version pretty much nails a lot of what's at the very core of many life struggles. Thanks Niebuhr!

message 3: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica I am sick and tired of people being sick and tired of the Serenity Prayer. Okay, so it is kind of like that one Aretha Franklin song that was in all those tampon and jeans and douche and windex and whatever else commercials. Yes, we're all really sick of it and never want to hear it again for the rest of our lives, but that doesn't mean it isn't a great song. It is a great song. That's why they put it in all those crappy commercials.

The Serentity Prayer is amazing. If you could actually figure out how to do what it says, you would have mastered the art of living. I didn't know he wrote that! Guess this book will be coming with me after all when I move in Feburary....

message 4: by Monica (new)

Monica My ma -1st generation Irish Catholic -had the serenity prayer accessible to everyone in the house and needed it since she raised 4 kids in the sixties. I'll never have a problem with that prayer or any of the others she had on scraps of paper here and there. I've lost my fonts in Firefox. Any suggestions how to re-install them? It's always something.

message 5: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Monica, not only can I not help you, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Maybe this is just one of those things you'll have to accept.

message 6: by Paul (last edited Dec 14, 2007 03:59AM) (new)

Paul Monica is so random. Literally. It's called flight of ideas isn't it?

message 7: by Monica (new)

Monica Thanks to the internet I'll find the serenity prayer and it will come in handy. Not only are fonts missing from the Firefox preferences pull-down menu, six large audio files have downloaded with a .php extension which won't open and I have no idea what .php is. Firefox is a browser for the mac tribe in case that helps. To paraphrase a college evaluation: "Monica is very nice but much of the time we don't know what she's talking about".

message 8: by Charissa (new)

Charissa you people are like the Greek chorus that lives inside my brain. Aretha Franklin did tampon commercials? Must have been an AU to which I was not invited.

Monica, in Firefox you go to the Options window, click on the "Manage" fonts button. You should be able to access all the fonts on your computer from in that window.

message 9: by Monica (new)

Monica The fonts have disappeared. The pull down menus are blank. There are no font names to choose from. I have to figure out how to re-install the fonts. I've never had to do this before. The help/search feature doesn't go beyond 'basics'.

I never heard Aretha Franklin music in a tampon commercial but she did sing "the best part of waking up is Folger's in your cup".

message 10: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Well I for one am certain that Reinhold Niebuhr would never sell out by singing the jingle in some lame tampon or instant coffee commercial. He's got standards.

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul Hey Mon, this is a haiku!

The fonts have disappeared.
The pull down menus are blank.
There are no font names to choose from.

Genius!

message 12: by Charissa (new)

Charissa haiku needs seventeen syllables:

five
seven
five

fonts have disappeared
the pull down menus are blank
no font names to choose from

paul bryant, genius
writes essays to stop a clock
amusing, brilliant

message 13: by Lesley (new)

Lesley Jessica will only attend NA meetings that allow beer. Jessica has no patience for cheap instant coffee and unadulterated sobriety.

message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul Charissa, thank you
Five, seven, then five. Okay -
THIS is a haiku

message 15: by Charissa (new)

Charissa I'm with Jessica, I will only practice sobriety if it comes with a liberal helping of adultery.

message 16: by Charissa (new)

Charissa yay! thank you paul, I've
always wanted to see my
name in a haiku

message 17: by Charissa (new)

Charissa Aha! Now we know
how to pronounce the odd name
Koeeoaddi

message 18: by Paul (new)

Paul This could go on and
on and on and on and on
and on and on and

message 19: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Oh my f*#%ing God
I am starting to despise
Bookface, and my life.