Crista's Reviews > Outlaw

3194546
May 19, 10

bookshelves: western, 3-star
Read in October, 2008

So this was my biggest problem with this book.....I never liked Elizabeth and Johnnie at the same time. Let me explain.

Elizabeth starts out the book in a strong way. She is a wealthy, independent widow who knows what she wants. She isn't looking for a man to rescue her...she doesn't even want a man...until Johnnie. She falls for Johnnie pretty early on...is jealous of him and his mistresses from the beginning. I really liked her. However, after the point where Johnnie and her marry it's all downhill for Elizabeth. She becomes a whinny, dependent, insecure weakling...opposite from the woman she was at the beginning of the book. Not attractive.

Johnnie starts out the book as a complete rake/jerk/self-involved poor excuse of a man. He is hopping in and out of bed after bed with many different women. There is no heart, just a lot of sex....until Elizabeth. Johnnie is in lust with Elizabeth right away, which doesn't set her apart from any other woman, but he comes to care for her in unfamiliar ways. After he and Elizabeth marry, it's all uphill for Johnnie. He becomes a devoted, faithful, considerate husband...opposite from the man he was at the beginning of the book. Very attractive.

To bad I only liked half of each person's image in this book.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlaw.