Nathan Eilers's Reviews > Mudhouse Sabbath: An Invitation to a Life of Spiritual Discipline

Mudhouse Sabbath by Lauren F. Winner

Jun 03, 10

bookshelves: christianity, proof-i-read-nonfiction
Recommended to Nathan by: Jen
Recommended for: Christians
Read from May 19 to June 02, 2010, read count: 1

Winner is a Christian convert from Judaism, and in this book she takes up 11 traditions in the Jewish culture that she wants to incorporate into Christianity somehow. Some of them are already a part of the church--weddings, caring for the elderly, fasting--but others are foreign to Christians (hanging scripture on the door frame, keeping the Sabbath). I very much enjoyed hearing Winner's insightful combination of analysis, comparison, narrative, and spirituality.

Perhaps an overall theme of the book is living life deliberately. Jewish customs have deep roots and all point to God in some way or another. By illuminating the purposes for many Jewish traditions and practices, Winner shows both their value and the need for something similar in Christianity. I hope to give more thought to my actions after reading this book. Winner also convinced me of the value of fasting, which I've never tried before because I like food.

Mudhouse Sabbath is a thoughtful and engaging read. It makes for great spiritual reading, and I enjoy its short chapters. It's well worth a pass through its pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mudhouse Sabbath.

05/19/2010 page 23
14.2% "My contemplative reading for now."
05/24/2010 page 56
34.57% "Winner's thoughts on carrying certain Jewish practices over into Christianity are good to read."