Debra's Reviews > Mornings in Jenin

Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa

May 19, 2010

bookshelves: won-from-firstreads, firstreads-read
Read from July 18 to 23, 2010

This is a heart-wrenching story about a Palestinian family who is driven from their home by the new state of Israel in 1948. Amal, is the daughter born to this family in the refugee camp. The story about the struggle and fight for survival of this family during the Palestinian-Israel conflict is told through Amal's voice. Up until this book I've only heard the story through the media and it's enlightening to read a book by someone who has acually lived through the conflict. The story deals with all aspects of relationships. We see that all people want the some basic needs met no matter what their political views are. It gives an insiders perspective and puts a human face on the tragedy. It's a great read for everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mornings in Jenin.

☮Karen I think this is one I tried to win thru first reads.

Debra I tried to win it also.

Cindy Me too!

Debra What!!!!!!!! And you didn't win it!

message 5: by Cindy (last edited May 23, 2010 09:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cindy Don't get smart! I am in a dry spell. Have not won a book in over a week!

☮Karen So you finally did win it? I like when they offer the same books at 2 different times.

Debra You're welcome to read it after I'm finished.

☮Karen Thank you for letting me read The Book Thief. I am starting it today!

Debra I love that book. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Cindy I also recommended this book to my sister who is going on vacation and to a friend of mine at dinner last night! I think we should all get a commission for our recommendations!

message 11: by Aamir (last edited Jul 22, 2010 02:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aamir Commisson for recommending "Book Thief" or "Mornings in Jenin?" :-)

Cindy The Book Thief! Great book!

Cindy Hope you pass Mornings in Jenin on to me. Heard it was a good book!

Debra I am enjoying it and I will pass it on to you. I think you will really like it. I'm about finished with it - have worked so much this week I haven't had a lot of time to read.

Cindy I read this book in 2 days! It was difficult to put down. Unbelievable! Thanks for lending it to me.

☮Karen This sounds so good.

Debra Get it from Cindy if you want to read it.