Alissa Bach's Reviews > Beyond the Deepwoods

Beyond the Deepwoods by Paul Stewart

1915434
Apr 19, 12

bookshelves: adventure, fantasy, kids-books, awesome, guy-friendly-reads, re-read
Read from May 19, 2010 to April 19, 2012

A really fun and unique adventure story about finding one's true place in the world.

All Twig knows of the world is the clan of wood trolls he lives with in the heart of the Deepwoods. However, he has always felt out of place. When he turns 13, his mother informs him that he is not a wood troll and spins a tale of finding him as a baby. For his own safety, Twig's mother sends him away from the village to stay with a cousin. "Don't stray from the path" is Twig's mother's parting words to him. So what does Twig do not even a few hours into his journey? Strays from the path, of course. Twig is soon hopelessly lost in the Deepwoods, which are populated with terrifying creatures and flesh-eating trees that make the Whomping Willow (of Harry Potter fame) look tame in comparison. Throughout, Twig silently begs guidence from the Gloamglozer, a (maybe fictional, maybe real) creature who is dreaded and feared by all who live in the Deepwoods and surrounding territories.

On his journey, Twig meets a wide assortment of characters--some refreshingly friendly, others frighteningly dangerous--before he finally finds his true place in the most unlikely of places.

The first in a series, but could work as a stand-alone book as well.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond the Deepwoods.

05/24/2010 "This one is a bit slow-going for me so far, but that's probably because I have so much else (books included) on my plate right now. I'm only a few chapters into it, but if the other reviews here have anything to say about it, it'll pick up soon. Hope so. I'm looking for my next adventure series."