Tori's Reviews > Little Bee

Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Jul 05, 10

bookshelves: fiction, my-library
Read from May 19 to July 05, 2010

So far, I have stopped to highlight more brilliant sentences in the first 75 pages of this book than I have the last ten books I've read. This man has a way with language.

I twice cried during this book. This story now feels like part of me. I can see why people might not like this book or feel tricked by the "hype" of the cover, but I thought it was fantastic. I found more profound, personal impacting sentences in this book than any in a long time. Stunning story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Bee.

Quotes Tori Liked

Chris Cleave
“Sad words are just another beauty. A sad story means, this storyteller is alive. The next thing you know something fine will happen to her, something marvelous, and then she will turn around and smile.”

Chris Cleave
“On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, Do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived.”

Chris Cleave
“Life is extremely short and you cannot dance to current affairs.”

06/20/2010 page 77