April's Reviews > Siren

Siren by Tricia Rayburn

May 19, 10

bookshelves: signed, bea-2010, for-review
Read in July, 2010

Review Originally Posted Here: http://www.goodbooksandgoodwine.com/2...

Siren by Tricia Rayburn is one creepy book. I mean, you would think mermaids aren’t exactly creepers as they swim around signing about how they ‘want to live out of these waters and spend a day warm on the sand.’ Sirens, on the other hand, are MEAN. They sing and lure people to their deaths. They do not want to be part of our world. Well, anyways, Siren by Tricia Rayburn opens with seventeen year old Vanessa Sands being Chuckie Finster, scared of everything. However, her sister Justine is like her own personal Tommy Pickles and helps her work through her fear. Unfortunately, Justine jumps off a cliff to her death. As Vanessa feels little the closure, the rest of the book results in Vanessa trying to figure out whether foul play was involved in Justine’s death or not.

I thoroughly enjoyed Siren. I guess every now and then, I want a book that is creepy! And slightly scary. This book is a gentle sort of creepy. By this I mean, it’s not the type that just throws it’s scary out there with a whole ‘saw off your leg to leave this room’ but more of a shadow lurking just out of the corner of your eye creepy. I like that. There’s something to be said for subtlety. Unfortunately, the big build up anticipation of who the villain is was sort of a letdown because we obviously know what the creature is from the title. However, the fact that this is still spine-tingling despite that certain says something for Rayburn’s prowess as a writer.

ALSO, there is no love triangle. Are you excited yet? I mean, every single freakin book with a paranormal element seems to contain triangles. I am triangle-d out. It’s nice to get a budding romance in a YA-paranormal book.

I do think Siren is a unique gem among a genre that I’ve grown slightly weary of. There’s genuine creepy, slow romance, and Vanessa is rather likable. In all, a nice read to bring you back to summer.

Disclosure: Book obtained at BEA.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Siren.