Yoonmee's Reviews > The Puzzling World of Winston Breen

The Puzzling World of Winston Breen by Eric Berlin

May 29, 10

bookshelves: 2010-nene-nominees, children-s-books, fiction
Read from May 28 to 29, 2010

I thoroughly enjoyed this treasure hunt caper, despite being horrible at puzzles! I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I couldn't figure out the answers to all the puzzles in the book, but that didn't take away from how much fun it was to read. Kids who enjoy puzzles and mysteries will enjoy this book. Highly recommend. Kudos to Eric Berlin on his first novel.

My only criticism is that technology doesn't really play a role in finding the answers to the puzzles. When the characters are sitting around in the park trying to solve the puzzle, no one thinks to look on their cell phones/ipod touches/iPads to surf the web for the answers? I guess that's probably considered cheating in the puzzle world, but, let's be honest, most of us will head straight to the internet when we have a question. Still, it was a nice break from technology and maybe it will encourage kids to actually try doing research offline instead of simply Googling for answers.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Puzzling World of Winston Breen.