Ciara's Reviews > I Was Told There'd Be Cake

I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley

May 19, 10

bookshelves: autobio-memoir, read-in-2010
Read in May, 2010

cute, fairly humorous essays. she's no david sedaris, but as far as essayists being compared to david sedaris go, she's pretty good. i especially liked the piece on growing up with a weird name. she wrote up a little list of some of the more annoying things that go along with having a weird name, including people who become curious & inappropriately defensive about having met other people with said weird name. i have met one other person with my name, & she was like ten years younger than me. i've lived for over thirty years with this name, which is constantly mispronounced, misspelled, etc. & yet, i have had at least a dozen interactions with people who have said, "it's not THAT weird. i know three other people with that same name, spelled the same way." great! i haven't. once i had a roommate named james who yelled at me one day & said, "ciara isn't that weird of a name! hardly anyone is named james!" according to the internet, james is the #1 most common name for men in the united states. "ciara" wasn't even ranked at the time (2000--before ciara the singer came along & helped inspire a wave of girl babies with said name).

sorry, tangent. not a bad book. would read another book by the same author.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Was Told There'd Be Cake.