Crystal's Reviews > Dragons of the Hourglass Mage

Wizards of the Coast
425.204.8011
Tolena.Thorburn@wizards.com

DRAGONS OF THE HOURGLASS MAGE SCHEDULED FOR SUMMER 2009

RENTON, Wash.—July 21, 2008 — Wizards of the Coast Inc., and New York Times Best-selling authors Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman today announced that Dragons of the Hourglass Mage is scheduled for a Summer 2009 publication.

Dragons of the Hourglass Mage is the concluding novel in the Lost Chronicles trilogy by Weis and Hickman and features many of the most popular characters from their extensive line of Dragonlance® books.

“Raistlin has always been my favorite character, yet even I didn’t foresee what would happen to him in Neraka until Tracy and I talked about it,” said Margaret Weis. “What he does is utterly true to his nature and absolutely right! I can’t wait to tell the story.”

“We are so pleased that we’ve reached agreement on the publishing schedule for this book,” said Casey Reeter, Vice President of Marketing for Wizards of the Coast. “We know how important this book is to the fans.”

“This is the book the fans have been waiting for,” added Tracy Hickman. “We’re delighted that we will be able to share it with them.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A word from Margaret Weiss:

06-19-2008, 06:40 AM

An official statement will be released shortly.
Patience, my children.

Margaret

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, the information below was more than a little disappointing to me. I was very much looking forward to reading the account of Raistlin's activities between Winter Night and Spring Dawning.

I cannot imagine that a story this important to the canon of Dragonlance would be told by anyone other than the actual canon authors. Raistlin Majere is one of the most loved/hated characters in the DL universe, and no one understands him better than Margaret Weis.

Margaret and Tracy wrote the stories that pulled us in and have held us captivated for almost twenty five years. Only Weis and Hickman will be able to do this story justice.

Discussion from http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php...

Books - WotC cancel publication of Dragonlance: Dragons of an Hourglass Mage
03-04-08, 01:40 AM Post #1

Dragons of an Hourglass Mage, which is believed to be the last Dragonlance novel to be written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman was due out in a few months, but has now been cancelled.

Different accounts have been made by the authors and Wizards of the Coast. Tracy Hickman had this to say on the Dragonlance Forums:

Originally Posted by Tracy Hickman
Well, we wish truth were happier...

Margaret and I have talked about this and are both deeply hurt and concerned. We don’t want our fans or book buyers to be mislead. To be clear, the book has not been turned in as yet by us.

Further, we were just informed that Wizards of the Coast is not allowing us to turn in the manuscript -- in other words they don’t even want to read it. We have seen the book being pre-sold as coming out in July with our names on it, but the plot described is not ours. If we haven’t turned it in and they are refusing now to accept or even look at the manuscript from us ... we are at a complete loss as to what to think.

It certainly both puzzling and upsetting.

Tracy Hickman for both myself and Margaret Weis

Margaret Weis posted, to make sure that people knew she agreed with this:

Originally Posted by Margaret Weis
I want to emphasize that Tracy speaks for both us.

Margaret

Needless to say there is a lot of speculation about this among Dragonlance fans. A representative of Wizards of the Coast responded on their own forums:

Originally Posted by Mike Lescault

Hi All. I received the following information to pass along. I apologize for not posting it earlier, but I am still out of the office from D&D Experience:

Wizards of the Coast planned to release Dragons of the Hourglass Mage in July 2008, as published in our catalog and posted on Amazon and other sites for pre-order. Despite our efforts, a manuscript was not forthcoming. Plans for the book are on hold; we have not recommissioned it. Today, we communicated this news to our distributor, and we expect that within the coming week retailers taking pre-orders for this book will cancel those orders.

We are always disappointed when our business partners don’t honor their obligations to us, but we must move forward to ensure the continued success of our publishing business.
__________________
Mike Lescault
Online Communities Manager
Wizards of the Coast
Co-host of Gamer Radio Zer0
GRZ on Youtube
GRZ on Myspace

So Tracy Hickman (and Margaret Weis) seem to be saying that they have been prevented from turning in the manuscript, while Wizards of the Coast seem to be saying that it wasn't given to them.

Either way, anyone waiting for this book is going to be disapointed, and anyone who has ordered the book on Amazon isn't going to get it.

Originally Posted by Alzrius
When he mentions the "plot described," was a synopsis of the book published someplace? If so, does anyone have it and can post it here?

03-06-08, 02:59 AM Post #18
Vocenoctum
I think they just meant the Back Cover Blurb

From Amazon:
Between Chronicles and Legends, what made Raistlin aspire to godhood?

In the concluding volume of this trilogy, the reader finds out what, exactly, Raistlin did after he abandoned the Companions to their deaths in the War of the Lance. Dragons of Spring Dawning shows Raistlin concluding a deal with the mysterious Fistandantilus, and the Legends trilogy shows what he did with that alliance, but until now there has been no explanation of what came between the War of the Lance and the Dwarfgate Wars. What power made Raistlin the Master of the Past and Present and allowed him into the Tower of High Sorcery - and a place in history as he pursued a place in the cosmos as a god.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragons of the Hourglass Mage.

Crystal Eagerly awaiting the last installment of this new trilogy.