Amy's Reviews > My One Hundred Adventures

My One Hundred Adventures by Polly Horvath

May 28, 10

bookshelves: young-adult
Read from May 19 to 28, 2010

This was a quirky lil' book. Can't say I really enjoyed it. Jane is 12 and tired of her boring life. She wants adventure. While out delivering Bibles with her pastor, Nellie, she ends up in a hot air balloon by herself and drops Bibles out so the people below can find them and be saved. One of the Bibles hits the littlest of the Gourd children who may be maimed for life as a result. Mrs. Gourd is furious and blackmails Jane and her friend into babysitting her nasty children for the entire summer. Jane doesn't want to tell her mother, for fear Mrs. Gourd will sue her mom and they will lose their house. In the end, it is revealed that a Bible never fell on the Gourd child and Mrs. Gourd knew it all along.

Several men come in and out of Jane and her family's lives and the assumption is that these are the fathers of Jane and her siblings. The pastor, Nellie, is an odd duck. She is trying to learn to "heal" people through touch throughout the book. Jane's mother marries Ned and they move to Saskatchewan.

I wasn't impressed by this book. I think kids would be terribly bored by it and many of the plot lines, like the men who appear and disappear, will be over a kids' head. I wouldn't spend your time reading this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My One Hundred Adventures.