Paquita Maria Sanchez's Reviews > A Modest Proposal

A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift

May 21, 10

bookshelves: literature
Read from May 19 to 21, 2010

I was told of this essay recently by a friend of mine in reference to her own unplanned pregnancy...she sarcastically considered using Swift's idea to...let's say... "make baby food" as one possible means of dealing with the infant once it's born. That kid is going to have some issues.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Modest Proposal.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Make baby food? Holy Christ on a stick.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Are you disgusted with me, or offering me a recipe suggestion?

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia When I first read "make baby food" it made me think of cannibalism. I think I am simply confused by the reference now.

message 4: by Paquita Maria (last edited May 24, 2010 11:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paquita Maria Sanchez No, you were right the first time. A Modest Proposal is basically a satirical essay which tells the people of Ireland that the best means to deal with the poor is to harvest their infants for food to sell to the richer classes. Hence my friend's disturbing reference when discussing what she should do with her infant once it's born. Of course, she didn't really mean it. Jesus, I hope that she didn't really mean it.

message 5: by Paquita Maria (last edited May 24, 2010 11:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paquita Maria Sanchez I just thought that "Holy Christ on a Stick" sounded like a recipe that could have been found in the index of A Modest Proposal. Anyway, it looks like I just took care of my "sacrilegious quote of the day." I think that I will reward myself with coffee and a smoke.

message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia You do that sister. I'll go have a glass of wine. Wait, it's kind of early for that. I'll have coffee too. Cheers, Kristi.

Paquita Maria Sanchez chin chin!

Jason Paquita Maria Sanchez wrote: "A Modest Proposal is basically a satirical essay which tells the people of Ireland that the best means to deal with the poor is to harvest their infants for food to sell to the richer classes."

Could you imagine the hate mail he'd get now from people who'd think he were serious?

knig WC Fields might have had this essay in mind when he said he liked children, but couldn't eat a whole one.