Schnaucl's Reviews > Traitor's Moon

Traitor's Moon by Lynn Flewelling

Dec 13, 07

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, owned, reread, read_2007, december, glbt, series
Read in December, 2007

** spoiler alert ** Warning: This review contains major spoilers. Proceed at your peril.

I enjoyed this book so much more when I wasn't worrying about mpreg. I read these books about the time I started to get into slash and I think that actually contributed to my feeling that the writing was so bad it was good and it certainly contributed to my worry that there would be mpreg. Flewelling feels like a slash fan, at least in these trilogies. I have no idea if she is or not (I know of a few published authors who are) but that was the feeling I had at the time.

Rereading it now, I don't dislike it as much as I did originally. I don't like it as much as the first two, but I don't dislike it either. There are still some problems, for example, I think the system of patronymics and matronymics while believable, are confusing to read. It wasn't quite as bad as reading a book where everyone has two or three names (Seregil and Alec aside) but it did detract from the light, fun feeling.

This time Alec, Seregil and Beka are off to Seregil's homeland. It was fun to see it but I can't see Seregil really being happy there for any length of time. Maybe if he became a schemer like Ulan...

I like Beka more now, though I still feel like we were cheated out of a chance to really get to know Micum.

It was nice to see Thero with more compassion and good to see that while the feud with Seregil has been put aside there's still some baiting of each other.

I liked seeing the progression of Seregil and Alec's relationship. I'm glad they're more comfortable with each other but I'm also glad that Alec isn't a totally different person. He may be more sexually open minded than he was, but he's still a modest man at heart.

I liked how the issue of children came up and Alec's reaction to it. I'm curious what the average human life span in Flewelling's world is supposed to be. If it's comparable to ours then I'm not surprised Alec hasn't thought about Children. If it's more like the European Middle ages then he probably would have thought about it.

I love Seregil, but Alec's a saint to put up with him sometimes.

I'm really looking forward to the next book. I'm curious how Skala has fared under Phoria's rule and if/how Flewelling intends to involve Thero and Beka since they appear to be in Auren for the duration.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Traitor's Moon.

Christine (AR) I liked it, too! It took me awhile to get the faie tribes straight, but it was a fun read, overall.

(You don't think she's going to do the mpreg thing in the fourth book, do you? Because of that prophecy? Please, no. ack.)

Schnaucl I had that same problem with the tribes. The names were just impossible.

I really, really hope she's going to avoid mpreg. I assume she will. She's a slash writer, I believe, but that still seems more of a slash thing than a mainstream fantasy book thing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.