Ruth's Reviews > The Bronze Horseman

The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons

F_50x66
Aug 31, 11

Read in May, 2010

I'm not sure I'm even going to be able to finish this book despite really wanting to like it, having had it recommended to me by a friend as her favourite book of all time. I am a third of the way through and have been struggling since page 50.

I just don't connect with the premise of this book. It is supposed to be a wonderful love story but I consider Alexander to be a two-timing rat and therefore don't really care what happens to him. We are supposed to support this character who is taking advantage of the naivety of a 17 year old girl who believes herself to be forever in love with him. He is sleeping with her sister, dating her sister, visiting her family as her sister's boyfriend, all without apology to Tatiana who is supposed to accept this as the best she can get. There are times when she tries to end it, rightly out of loyalty to her sister, but then he makes her feel unreasonably demanding and guilty for sticking to her principles so she concedes.

I don't want to waste my time reading another four or five hundred pages of this book when there must be far better reads out there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bronze Horseman.