E. R.'s Reviews > Taming the Highland Bride

Read from May 17 to 21, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Taming the Highland Bride

By Lynsay Sands

Reviewed by E.R.

This book features Merry Stewart and her betrothed, Alexander d’Aumesbery, the brother of the first book's heroine. Alexander learned that his stepmother had arranged a marriage between his sister and the Devil of Donnachaidh. He was worried about his sister's health and was determined to visit his sibling after he took care of his tooth problem. He never expected to meet his betrothed at his own home without his knowledge of her expected arrival.

As for his betrothed, Merry Stewart was tired of drunken men and their shenanigans after taking care of her father and brothers. Alas, she didn't see Alexander in his best behavior when she arrived. Still, Merry was determined to make the best of things.

This book didn’t live up to my expectations. At times, I found it tedious, in which I had to put more energy just to continue reading it. I just wasn’t into this book as much as I did in the previous book of this series. I didn’t click with Merry, who is a strong woman but somehow, something about her personality didn’t endear herself to me. As for Alexander, he wasn’t a bad character, although I was getting mighty tired about the obstacles that was put against him. It may not look like huge problems, but they were getting tiresome.

I was glad that the problem of the atrocious stepmother (getting this vibe from the first book of the series) has finally been resolved. How it is resolved I’ll leave that to readers to keep the mystery alive. And it was also nice to hear from other characters from the first book.

If you want to read the whole series, you should read this book. Otherwise, just skip this book and read the first one of this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taming the Highland Bride.

05/20/2010 page 251
67.65% "I'm almost finished with the book."