Brianvalint's Reviews > Voice of Force

Voice of Force by G. Roger Denson

U_50x66
Jun 13, 10

Voice of Force has a lot of subtle things going for it. At first I didn’t see why the author did things like strike through text, as if he was just leaving it there as he wrote spontaneously and didn’t bother to come back and erase it. Or why he let a black rectangle stand in for a diary entry he became ashamed of having written the day before out of anger. Or why he felt it necessary to have newspaper articles inform us of events rather than just write them as he wrote of earlier events.

Then I realized that these little idiosyncracies aren’t idiosyncracies at all. They’re ways to convey meaning directly to us without using words. I came to see that all these little format conveyances are acts of writing too. Presenting things we understand without even realizing we’re being told of them because they’re the kind of things we do in our own writing, even if it’s just a note about going to the store. All things we recognize unconsciously. And since so much of the story is told with silences, these silent format conveyances underline the unsaid.

Of course there is a melodrama unfolding that counters all this silence. But it’s the silences and subtle format maneuvers that foil the melodrama. Keep it from going over the top.

As for the story, I came to it with trepidation, not usually enjoying gay stories. But this novel is much more than a gay story. As my wife said to convince me to give it a try, it’s also a heterosexual story. And a story about religion and atheism. And about women and men. It’s the mix of all these people that made it a meaningful read for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Voice of Force.