Lynda Beck's Reviews > House Rules

Jun 07, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: audiobooks, fiction, read-in-2010
Read from May 18 to June 06, 2010

** spoiler alert ** So painfully disappointing. Although I (like most readers) knew that Jacob hadn't killed Jess less than halfway through the book, I was still interested to find out whether the jury believed him or not. The outcome of the trial was the only thing that kept me reading. Imagine how furious I was when the book was over and I realized that the verdict would. not. be. divulged. What!??! I think I actually yelped. I can't believe I forced myself to finish over 500 pages of formulaic, predictable prose only to be left hanging at the end. Very lame, Jodi, very lame.

Also, am I the only one who was screaming out loud at Emma throughout the entire story? It seems so out of character for such a loving, attentive mom to NOT sit down with her extremely literal, Aspergian son and say, "Okay, Jacob. Tell me exactly what happened from the minute you walked in the door at Jess's house." This frustrated me to no end, and I found myself continually rolling my eyes at the improbability of this.

"Handle with Care" left me disappointed. "House Rules" has left me swearing off Picoult for good. Bummer.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House Rules.

05/28/2010 page 263