♡♥Ang ♥♡'s Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Jun 23, 10

Read from May 19 to June 23, 2010

Shiver is AMAZING!!!

I brought this book at least 4 months or more ago and it just sat on my book shelve...Until i picked it up 2 days ago and then i couldn't put it down!!

This has to be the best Y/A book i have read in ages,from the first page i was sucked into their wonderful story.

Grace and Sam are AWESOME!!
Their story told by both of them was perfect,i am so in love with Sam he was so Sweet,Caring and Sexy but i felt like he was real and i was right there with in the story... Grace is well Grace is the Best!!

If i could give it more then 5 Start i so would!!!
Ladies when you read this you will need some tissues!!!
I can't stop thinking about this book,it was FANTASTIC!!!

If you haven't read this book, You need to READ it!!
Has to be my new Fave Book!! I can not wait to read Linger it is going to so good!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

Quotes ♡♥Ang ♥♡ Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“You're beautiful and sad," I said finally, not looking at him when I did. "Just like your eyes. You're like a song that I heard when I was a little kid but forgot I knew until I heard it again." For a long moment there was only the whirring sound of the tires on the road, and then Sam said softly, "Thank you.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“It is possible to be in love with you just because of who you are.”

“What do you eat?"
"Baby bunnies." She narrowed her eyes, so I grinned and said, "Adult bunnies, too. I'm an equal-opportunity bunny-eater.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“So, Grace, how's school?" I asked myself.
Dad nodded, eyes on the baby koala now struggling in the guest's arms.
"Oh, it's fine," I continued, and Dad made a mumbling noise of agreement. I added, "Nothing special, aside from the load of pandas they brought in, and the teachers abandoning us to cannibalistic savages-" I paused to see if I'd caught his attention yet, then pressed on. "The whole building caught fire, then I failed drama, and then sex, sex, sex."
Dad's eyes abruptly focused, and he turned to me and frowned. "What did you say they were teaching you in school?”

Maggie Stiefvater
“You two are too cute,” the counter girl said, setting two cups piled with whipped cream on the counter. She had a sort of lopsided, open smile that made me think she laughed a lot. “Seriously. How long have you been going out?”
Sam let go of my hands to get his wallet and took out some bills. “Six years.”
I wrinkled my nose to cover a laugh. Of course he would count the time that we’d been two entirely different species.
Whoa.” Counter girl nodded appreciatively. “That’s pretty amazing for a couple your age."
Sam handed me my hot chocolate and didn’t answer. But his yellow eyes gazed at me possessively—I wondered if he realized that the way he looked at me was far more intimate than copping a feel could ever be.
I crouched to look at the almond bark on the bottom shelf in the counter. I wasn’t quite bold enough to look at either of them when I admitted, “Well, it was love at first sight.”
The girl sighed. “That is just so romantic. Do me a favor, and don’t you two ever change. The world needs more love at first sight.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I fell for her in summer, my lovely summer girl,
From summer she is made, my lovely summer girl,
I’d love to spend a winter with my lovely summer girl,
But I’m never warm enough for my lovely summer girl,
It’s summer when she smiles, I’m laughing like a child,
It’s the summer of our lives; we’ll contain it for a while
She holds the heat, the breeze of summer in the circle of her hand
I’d be happy with this summer if it’s all we ever had.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Sam,' the girl said. 'Sam.'
She was the past present and future. I wanted to answer , but I was broken.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“As the hours crept by, the afternoon sunlight bleached all the books on the shelves to pale, gilded versions of themselves and warmed the paper and ink inside the covers so that the smell of unread words hung in the air.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Books are more real when you read them outside.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Grace,” I said, very softly. “Say something.”
Sam,” she said, and I crushed her to me.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I stood on my toes and stole a soft kiss from his lips. "Surprise attack," I said.
Sam leaned down and kissed me back, his mouth lingering on mine, teeth grazing my lower lip, making me shiver. "Surprise attack back."
"Sneaky," I said, my voice breathier than I intended.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“..and me holding this moment that was as fragile as a bird in my hands”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I'd found heaven and grabbed it as tightly as I could, but it was unraveling, an insubstantial thread sliding between my fingers, too fine to hold.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Sam: “You—you greatly overestimate my self-control.”
Grace: “I’m not looking for self-control.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Sam:"Okay, what words would you use then?" I leaned back in the seat, thinking, as Sam looked at me doubtfully. He was right to look doubtful. My head didn't work with words very well- at least not in this abstract, descriptive sort of way.
Grace:"Sensitive" I tried.
Sam translated: "Squishy"
Grace:"Creative"
Sam:"Dangerously emo"
Grace:"Thoughtful"
Sam:"Feng shui."
I laughed so hard I snorted.
Grace:"How did you get feng shui out of thoughtful?"
Sam:"You know, because in feng shui, you arrange funiture and plants and stuff in thoughtful ways.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Lunch." I said. "Immediately. I'm going to wither away to absolutely nothing. Then you'll be racked with guilt."
"I doubt it.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Crashing into the trembling void
Stretching my hand to you
Losing myself to frigid regret
Is this fragile love
A way
To say
Good-bye”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I would say that by virtue of your not acting parental up to this point, you've relinquished your ability to wield any power now. Sam and I are together. It's not an option.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“He slouched back in his seat, looking tired, and leaned his face on his shoulder to look at me while he played with my hair. He started to hum a song, and then, after a few bars, he sang it. Quietly, sort of half-sung, half-spoken, incredibly gentle. I didn’t catch all the words, but it was about his summer girl. Me. Maybe his forever girl. His yellow eyes were half-lidded as he sang, and in that golden moment, hanging taut in the middle of an icecovered landscape like a single bubble of summer nectar, I could see how my life could be stretched out in front of me.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I said uselessly, "Sam, don't go."

Sam cupped my face in his hands and looked me in the eyes. His eyes were yellow, sad, wolf, mine.

"These stay the same. Remember that when you look at me. Remember it's me. Please.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I settled on the floor and whispered to Sam, “I want you to listen to me, if you can.” I leaned the side of my face against his ruff and remembered the golden wood he had shown me so long ago. I remembered the way the yellow leaves, the color of Sam’s eyes, fluttered and twisted, crashing butterflies, on their way to the ground. The slender white trunks of the birches, creamy and smooth as human skin. I remembered Sam standing in the middle of the wood, his arms stretched out, a dark, solid form in the dream of the trees. His coming to me, me punching his chest, the soft kiss. I remembered every kiss we’d ever had, and I remembered every time I’d curled in his human arms. I remembered the soft warmth of his breath on the back of my neck while we slept.
I remembered Sam.”

“How long?"

His smile was amazingly sweet. "The longest."

For ever?"

Sam's lips smiled, but above his grin, his yellow eyes turned sad, as if he knew it was a lie. "Longer.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“We had this big grill at his house, and I remember, one night he said, 'Sam, tonight you're feeding us,' He showed me how to push on the middle of the steaks to see how done they were, and how to sear them fast on each side to keep the juices in."
"And they were awesome, weren't they?"
"I burned the hell out of them," I said, matter-of-fact. "I'd compare them to charcoal, but charcoal is still sort of edible.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Grace: The idea was immediately unbearable, only because I wanted it to be true so badly it hurt”

“Sensitive," I tried.

Sam translated: "Squishy."

"Creative."

"Dangerously emo."

"Thoughtful."

"Feng shui."

I laughed so hard I snorted. "How do you get feng shui out of 'thoughtful'?"

"You know, because in feng shui, you arrange furniture and plants and stuff in thoughtful ways." Sam shrugged. "To make you calm. Zenlike. Or something. I'm not one hundred percent sure how it all works, besides the thoughtful part.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Grace: I picked up my sweater from the floor and crawled back into bed. Shoving my pillow aside, I balled up the sweater to use instead.

I fell asleep to the scent of my wolf. Pine needles, cold rain, earthy perfume, coarse bristles on my face.

It was almost like he was there.”
tags: love

Maggie Stiefvater
“This is sams phone" there was a long,heavy pause, and then: "oh." Another pause. "Youre the girl, arent you? The girl who was in my house?" I tried to think of what i might gain by denying it and drew a blank "yes"
do you have a name?"
do you?"
he gave a short laugh that was completely without humor but not unpleasent. "I think i might like you. Im Beck.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Some days seem to fit together like a stained glass window. A hundred little pieces of different color and mood that, when combined, create a complete picture.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“She kissed me harder, breath huffing into my mouth, and bit my lip. Oh, hell that was amazing. I growled before I could stop myself.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Close your eyes,” he said. Without waiting for me, he pressed his hand over my eyelids, shutting them for me. I felt the love seat shift as he slid in beside me, heard the inexplicably loud sound of the cover opening, the pages inside scraping against each other as he turned them.
Then I felt his breath on my ear as he said, voice barely audible, “‘I am alone in the world, and yet not alone enough to make each hour holy. I am lowly in this world, and yet not lowly enough for me to be just a thing to you, dark and shrewd. I want my will and I want to go with my will as it moves towards action.’” He paused, long, the only sound his breath, a little ragged, before he went on, “‘And I want, in those silent, somehow faltering times, to be with someone who knows, or else alone. I want to reflect everything about you, and I never want to be too blind or too ancient to keep your profound wavering image with me. I want to unfold. I don’t want to be folded anywhere, because there, where I’m folded, I am a lie.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Folded in my arms you're a butterfly in reverse
you're giving up your wings and inheriting my curse
you're letting go of
me
you're letting go”

05/25/2010 page 128
32.82% "I am Loving This Book!!" 1 comment

message 1: by Christrine (new)

Christrine Ang~ I loved this book, I read it in like 1 1/2 days cause I could not but it down. I cany wait for Linger! It is YA book but it is reaaly a great read and I hope you like it. Let me know what you think!

~Chistine

♡♥Ang ♥♡ Cool, i haven't started it yet!! i thought i would add it here tho so i t will remind me what i need to read this week,lol I have only herd great things about it.. tho with no sex in it i think i could be lost..lmao

LethalLovely~Let Me Hold Both Your Hands in the Holes of My Sweater LMAO. There is some sex in it but it's vague of course. This is kiddie fiction, you know. I read this last week & liked it a hell of alot more than I thought I would. It almost made me cry but then I put on my big girl thongs.

message 4: by Christrine (new)

Christrine lol, I know what you mean I used to read nothing but YA books then I ran across A Gena Showalter book that blew open paranormal romance for me! Now if there is not earth shattering sex with a bigger than life warrior I cant seem to muster up the want to read it!!!!! BUT that said you will still like shiver I think.

♡♥Ang ♥♡ Cool thanks guys, i am glad i am not the only one!!
so i will so start this soon i promise :)

Sammy LOL, Lethal you crack me up!

Leah LMAO...Lethal...your big girl thongs...Oh man. You are so funny, girl ;)

Lady Allison Ang, I absolutely LOVED this book & I hope you do too! Can't wait to see what you think!

LethalLovely~Let Me Hold Both Your Hands in the Holes of My Sweater Thanks Sammy & Leah. I can't help it. It is damn near impossible for me to be serious about most things...unless its homework.

message 11: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah LMAO. I know what you mean, Lethal. Sometimes I can't even be serious about homework, though, LOL

LethalLovely~Let Me Hold Both Your Hands in the Holes of My Sweater Homework was created by the DEVIL! Especially homework where you have to actually think. DEVIL!!!!!!

message 13: by Christrine (new)

Christrine lol, Lathal my days of homework are long gone but I still strggle through childrens homework and I feel for you!

♡♥Ang ♥♡ Same here Christine, My days of home work are long gone :)
BUT my sons homework,i struggle to do!!! LMAO and he is only 6!!!

message 15: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah I totally agree, Lethal! I'm so glad that I only have two more freaking weeks of school left!

LethalLovely~Let Me Hold Both Your Hands in the Holes of My Sweater LOL. Lucky woman. Even when I'm out for the summer, my work is never done. High school is a piece of cake compared to College.

message 17: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah Yes, I'm sure it is. I'm very sorry you have to suffer even during the summer months, hon. LOL

LethalLovely~Let Me Hold Both Your Hands in the Holes of My Sweater Hahaha.Please don't pity me. I pity myself enough as it is. You should see me when I'm sick. All I do is blow snot bubbles & feel sorry for myself.

message 19: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah LOL. This year has been the worst school year for me being sick, I swear. At least three times I was out for a week straight and then I've been sick other days and then I feel all bad for myself when I have all this homework to catch up on.

LethalLovely~Let Me Hold Both Your Hands in the Holes of My Sweater I understand. So sorry to hear that,hon. I forget that HS is a hell of its own.

message 21: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah Indeed it is. I'll certainly be glad to be rid of it. But, alas, I still have another year to go. *sigh*

♡♥Ang ♥♡ I loved this book it was so amazing!!!
wow i could re read this again!!
who no's what Linger is about??

message 23: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah I told you that you'd love the book! I'm so glad you liked it, though :)
We are definitely doing a re-read, Ang, because I have been thinking about it a lot recently! LOL

♡♥Ang ♥♡ Yeah I LOVED it it was AMAZING.. Who would think a book with no sex could make me so excited..U no what i mean..lmao..
And oh hells YEAH we will be doing a re read we should do it before Linger comes out!!!

message 25: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah I know! There was one sex scene and it wasn't, like, obviously sex but this book was still so sensual and fantastic and awesome. LOL
We should definitely do it before Linger comes out but we are definitely doing a re-read before that, too!

♡♥Ang ♥♡ Sounds Like A excellent plan!!!
I loved it that much too!!!
I no there sex was you no TAME,after what i have been reading the last few weeks ,,lol,,,
And i didnt care,i love loved loved SAM!!!
wowzah when takes her on there Date!!! i was like *SWOON* and then i couldnt stop smiling!!! hahaha

message 27: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah I think so, too!
Of course their sex was tame! Even though it was, though, I still appreciated it. LOL
I lovelovelove Sam, too! But remember, I called dibs so back off my honey! LOL
He was so adorable! I loved when he took her to the candy shop! So cute!

message 28: by Christrine (new)

Christrine so glad you liked it Ang! I love my hot scorchin love scenes as much as the next but there is something to be said about the purity of young new love and I love love love Sam! I really love the way Grace was drawn to Sam when he was in wolf form, before she knew he could change. I love the name of this book every time Ithink about it it brings up all the scence where when he gets too cold and almost changes! Im screaming to myself someone warm him up now!!!!! Yea I definately loved this book!

♡♥Ang ♥♡ *swoon* the candy Shop omg that was aweosme!!! i cant stop thinking about the whole god damn book, and Shelby did not die!!! i was like Oh NOooooo

message 30: by Christrine (new)

Christrine I know I cant wait for Linger apparently the tables turn and they gotta keep Grace from turning this time!

♡♥Ang ♥♡ I was the same Chris!!
I Loved it so much!!! Yay we can all chat about it together now!!

message 32: by Christrine (new)

Christrine I know its a YA book but I think it should be a group read. It has it all and I cannot imagine someone not loving it!

♡♥Ang ♥♡ So true Chris, maybe we could all do a group read sometime in our group.. that would be fun re reading it again :) haha

message 34: by Christrine (new)

Christrine when you guys decide to do it, count me in!

♡♥Ang ♥♡ Awesome, i will :)
Yay so excited hahah

message 36: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah Chris, you heard that in Linger they have to keep Grace from turning?! What a turn of events. And when we do the re-read we will definitely tell you!

♡♥Ang ♥♡ So check you emails Ladies i sent my first ever event thingy out..lmao

message 38: by Christrine (new)

Christrine well you know in the first book she was bitten and because of the fever she got she never went through the change. well in Linger apparently she starts to and they have to stop it so she can stay with yummy Sam hope I did n ot give anyhthing away!?

message 39: by Christrine (new)

Christrine LMAO whats a thingy Ang~?

♡♥Ang ♥♡ Thing-y...lol haha my slang i guess..

And i thought something like this was going to happen!! i think she never turned,cos what happened to her int he car only supressed it for a little longer,You no what i mean..my speeling sucks im sorry..lol

message 41: by Christrine (new)

Christrine its ok I got the jest of what your saying and yes getting stuck in the hot car only delayed her turn.

message 42: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah Don't worry, Chris, you didn't spoil anything. I simply cannot wait for Linger!

message 43: by Christrine (new)

Christrine me either and I was thinking scince we have all read Shiver maybe Linger should be the group read! That could be exciting! reading a book for the first time with a group!

message 44: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah Definitely! Sounds like a plan to me :D

♡♥Ang ♥♡ HELL YEAH That would be awesome!!
Yeah that would be fun im in!!
Ill have to pr order the book on time to get it!!
i found out today why we dont get books the same time as you guys do..

message 46: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah Yeah, why is that, Ang?

♡♥Ang ♥♡ something to do with the publishes...And if it dosent get picked up in your country blah blah blah i dont really understand i was about to slap the lady at the book shop!! hahahah Poor thing it wasnt her fault but i was so upset at the time!!!

message 48: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah I completely understand, hon. I think it sucks that places like Australia and England and all that don't get books at the same time as we do over in the US. As a matter of fact, me and one of my friends were talking about that today at lunch because she has a friend in England who is waiting for the same book we are but it comes out a couple months later over there. It sucks.

♡♥Ang ♥♡ Oh i no how they feel!!
Like The sookie stack house book came out on the 1st june
and it sucks,tho we should be all be able to get books the same time!

message 50: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah I know. It totally sucks for you guys. I know I would absolutely hate that.

« previous 1