Adam's Reviews > Stumbling on Wins: Two Economists Expose the Pitfalls on the Road to Victory in Professional Sports

Stumbling on Wins by David J. Berri

May 19, 10

bookshelves: economics, sports, non-fiction
Recommended for: Sports stats nuts and anyone involved with business decision making in sports.
Read in May, 2010

Again, dipping into the roomie's personal collection.

An economic analysis of business decisions made in the sports world, Stumbling on Wins has very little entertainment value to offer.

Sure, it's interesting to know that black quarterbacks are undervalued or that NBA players are overplayed between the ages of 24-28 but that's about it. The authors set out to show that a number of decisions made in sports that are presumed to be rational, are actually far from it.

When combining economics and sports its no secret that most of the pages will be filled with comparative statistics. While each chapter sets out to highlight is own individual point, the findings are all well recapped and presented with bullets in the final chapter, rendering the time I spent actually reading the book worthless.

Oh well, next time I'll check the ending before I begin!

But then again, I'm really just not a sports fan so what business do I have reading this!?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stumbling on Wins.