Sara's Reviews > Nothing But Trouble

Nothing But Trouble by Rachel Gibson

May 19, 10

bookshelves: sports-romances, waste-of-my-time
Read from May 18 to 19, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I don't know what was going on in Rachel Gibson's life while she was writing this book but it couldn't have been good. You can practically feel the anger coming off the pages. Which, considering the mental state of her hero in the book worked out well for the first hundred or so pages. After that, when the hero was supposed to have begun to let go of his anger and depression, the book starts to fall apart.
The actual story just feels as if it's being told by an eight-year-old. As if the author is not interested in what is happening. So, if the author isn't interested, why the hell should the reader be?
The majority of the story takes place in the last hundred to hundred and fifty pages. Too bad it felt as if Rachel Gibson was just going through the motion of writing and not telling us a story that she was interested in. Which is just a shame since Gibson has a very good story-telling ability.
This story was nothing but a dissapointment. The book about an angry about life athlete finding himself through an optimistic assistant would be interesting if Rachel Gibson would just get over whatever is going on in her life and just write. It would be a lot more understandable if her publisher forced Gibson to write the story, but even then, it would be in her best interest to write the story well. After all, she has to make money somehow.... writing a good story and not losing her audience seems to me like the best way to do so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nothing But Trouble.

05/18/2010 page 216