Erin's Reviews > The Islamist

The Islamist by Ed Husain

Aug 12, 10

bookshelves: nonfiction, memoir
Read in August, 2010

I can't claim I always agreed with the author's conclusions (the librarian hippy in me just can't support the government limiting free speech rights), but it was a very informative read. He did a great job articulating why Islamism is appealing not just to the impoverished in the middle east, but to white collar, 2nd generation Western intellectuals. He also did a beautiful job articulating what moderate Muslims believe, why it clashes with Islamism, and explaining the need for moderates to define themselves and disassociate themselves from the fundamentalists. He also did the clearest job of anything I've read for awhile of explaining the diversity of belief and practice in the Islamic community, which I think many Westerners don't understand.

My favorite parts were the ones that discussed the tensions in his relationship with his father over their very different interpretations of their religion during his radical period.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Islamist.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leslie I've heard this book is hard to get - where did you get it?

Erin Our library system doesn't have it, so Lizbeth ordered a bunch off of amazon so we could do it for book group. I definitely thought it was worth the money.

Leslie wrote: "I've heard this book is hard to get - where did you get it?"

message 3: by Lizbeth (new) - added it

Lizbeth Leslie- Try Amazon. It came out in the US this past December, so you should be able to get it through any bookstore. Have not seen it at the libraries yet.