Janene's Reviews > How Much Is a Million?

How Much Is a Million? by David M. Schwartz

May 18, 2010

bookshelves: picture-book, read-to-my-kids

My six-year-old is insatiable about numbers right now, and this book absolutely hits the spot. It is mind-blowing, as the illustrations (Stephen Kellogg is a favorite of mine) and narrative effectively explore VERY large numbers that you sometimes hear thrown around in the news. Here you will learn that a trillion (a thousand billion) really is tremendous.

A sample...
If one million kids climbed onto one another's shoulders, they would be... taller than the tallest buildings, higher than the highest mountains, and farther up than airplanes can fly. If you wanted to count from one to one million.... it would take you about 23 days.

That is just the beginning of the journey.

As you read the notes from the author at the conclusion of the book, you find that he has even taken into account that it takes about six seconds to fully annunciate the number 369,472,888,227. Pull out your stopwatch and give it a try. :o)

All of his math calculations, including his data that the average height of a elementary school pupil is 4'8", are also found in the author's notes. It is fascinating! I want to recommend this book to my older sister, my brother, Eric, and any other math nerds out there.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Much Is a Million?.