Jennifer's Reviews > 61 Hours

61 Hours by Lee Child

Jun 16, 10

bookshelves: read-2010
Recommended to Jennifer by: Entertainment Weekly, I believe
Recommended for: someone who has read all the other Jack Reacher books
Read from June 09 to 11, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Though I initially found the countdown a little distracting (and a bit 24-ish), I noticed how tense it made me as I wondered constantly what exactly it was counting down to. If, in fact, Lee Child just killed off his main character, Jack Reacher, then the countdown and the whole book becomes even more interesting.

It begins as a standard thriller/Jack Reacher story . . . Jack's riding on a bus with a bunch of senior citizens through wintery South Dakota (he made a deal with the driver at a rest stop and joined a tour group). A chance swerve from another car startles the bus driver and sends the bus and its passengers into a ditch. Though they are not far from a nearby town, the blizzard they were driving in is getting worse by the minute and the police of the town seem strangely distracted when they come to rescue the group. Something is going on.

And, of course, Jack willl get involved in it. There's some nice sparks via telephone between Jack and a woman MP (who holds the position Jack used to hold) as Reacher attempts to use his military connections to get info. There's a brave elderly librarian whose life is in danger because she has decided to do the right thing and not back down. There's a tidbit of Jack's childhood revealed that sets up the end quite fittingly. There's, of course, an evil drug king pin who is only 4 foot something who needs to be taken down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 61 Hours.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jennifer Sara, do you want this after me? I got it from CLC's library so we've got a few weeks.