Carly's Reviews > Shiver

3196761
May 18, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed

Well, thank God Linger is here! I may be a bit late on the Shiver/Linger bandwagon but I have arrived! Knowing Linger was soon to be released, I decided to read Shiver in preparation. There is an awful lot of hype out there about Shiver. It fits perfectly into the paranormal romance trend that’s so huge at the moment and it fits in side by side with other huge books like Fallen and Beautiful Creatures.

Shiver benefits from Stiefvater’s wonderful style and ethereal prose that weaves together a beautiful story of love between Grace and Sam. It’s utterly addictive and I found myself reading the book in one sitting, even though it’s fairly long for a YA novel. It’s just breathtaking – it’s hard to put into words just how much I loved Shiver. As soon as I finished I just wanted to start again and escape back into Grace and Sam’s world.

The novel alternates between Grace and Sam’s voice and both characters are brilliantly written. I didn’t get at all mixed up as to who was narrating, which I sometimes do with a split narrative. The cast of supporting characters are great too and I really warmed to Isabel in particular – I’m excited to see how her character develops in Linger.

And yes – Shiver completely blows Twilight out of the water. Plus, the cover art is absolutely exquisite.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.