Ciri's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Mar 24, 2016

Read in March, 2016 , read count: 3

3.5 stars.

Every time I reread this my rating drops and it's all because Will is a disrespectful piece of sh*t and Tessa's constant fawning over him - despite how unnecessarily cruel he is to her - just makes it even worse. Also, does the colour of his eyes really need to be described in 100 different ways!? ugh.

Jem is still amazing though.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

Quotes Ciri Liked

Cassandra Clare
“Jem seemed to look through her then, as if he were seeing something beyond her, beyond the corridor, beyond the Institute itself. "Whatever you are physically," he said, "male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy--all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. All those other things, they are the glass that contains the lamp, but you are the light inside." He smiled them, seeming to have come back to himself, slightly embarrassed. "That's what I believe.”

Cassandra Clare
“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”

Cassandra Clare
“Will looked horrified. "What kind of monster could possibly hate chocolate?”

Cassandra Clare
“Only the very weak-minded refuse to be influenced by literature and poetry.”

Cassandra Clare
“I believe in good and evil," said Jem. "And I believe the soul is eternal. But I don't believe in the fiery pit, the pitchforks, or endless torment. I do not believe you can threaten people into goodness."

Tessa looked at will. "What about you? What do you believe?

"Pulvis et umbra sumus," said Will, not looking at her as he spoke. "I believe we are dust and shadows. What else is there?”

Cassandra Clare
“Goodness," Tessa said to the back of his head. "If you keep seeing Six-Fingered Nigel like this, he'll expect you to declare your intentions.”

Cassandra Clare
“Will rolled up his sleeves. "We'll probably have to knock down the door--"
"Or," said Jem, reaching out and giving the knob a twist, "not."
The door swung open onto a rectangle of darkness.
"Now, that's simply laziness," said Will.”

Cassandra Clare
“A little girl robbed you?" Tessa said.
"Actually, she wasn’t a little girl at all, as it turns out, but a midget in a dress with a penchant for violence, who goes by the name of Six-Fingered Nigel."
"Easy mistake to make," Jem said.”

Cassandra Clare
“When you find a man you wish to marry, Tessa, remember this: You will know what kind of man he is not by the things he says, but by the things he does.”

Cassandra Clare
“Sometimes," Jem said, "our lives can change so fast that the change outpaces our minds and hearts. It's those times, I think, when our lives have altered but we still long for the time before everything was altered-- that is when we feel the greatest pain. I can tell you, though, from experience, you grow accustomed to it. You learn to live your new life, and you can't imagine, or even really remember, how things were before.”

Cassandra Clare
“Drowning yourself won't help, she told herself sternly. Now, drowning Will, on the other hand...”

Cassandra Clare
“So you don't ever get angry at him?"
Jem laughed out loud. "I would hardly say that. Sometimes I want to strangle him."
"How on earth do you prevent yourself?"
"I go to my favorite place in London," said Jem, "and I stand and look at the water, and I think about the continuity of life, and how the river rolls on, oblivious of the petty upsets in our lives."
Tessa was fascinated. "Does that work?"
"Not really, but after that I think about how I could kill him while he slept if I really wanted to, and then I feel better.”

Cassandra Clare
“It's all right to love someone who doesn't love you back, as long as they're worth you loving them. As long as they deserve it.”

10/11 page 197