Brittany's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Dec 14, 14

Read from September 16 to October 12, 2010

Once i Read this again I feel like doing a review but I just need to say that I love Jem. Sure Will is hot and witty but hes a jerk! And i don't care if he has reason for it that is no way to treat a freaking woman!! Actually I don't like how he treats anyone in the book well except for Jem. If he saves Jem I might like him more. Oh and if he cuts that attitude. I don't think hes a bad boy I just think that he is a brat that needs an attitude check lol. And to me it seemed like Tessa only liked him cuz of how hot he is - *Yawn*. Ahem, my darling Jem on the other hand is a gentleman and hes also badass even if he is *cries* d-dying..Plus hes half asian half white dude with silver hair he has to be sexy.

Can't wait to read it again!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

Quotes Brittany Liked

Cassandra Clare
“You know," Gabriel said, "there was a time I thought we could be friends, Will."

"There was a time I thought I was a ferret," Will said, "but that turned out to be the opium haze. Did you know it had that effect? Because I didn't.”

Cassandra Clare
“Jem seemed to look through her then, as if he were seeing something beyond her, beyond the corridor, beyond the Institute itself. "Whatever you are physically," he said, "male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy--all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. All those other things, they are the glass that contains the lamp, but you are the light inside." He smiled them, seeming to have come back to himself, slightly embarrassed. "That's what I believe.”

Cassandra Clare
“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”

Cassandra Clare
“Will looked horrified. "What kind of monster could possibly hate chocolate?”

Cassandra Clare
“Only the very weak-minded refuse to be influenced by literature and poetry.”

Cassandra Clare
“I believe in good and evil," said Jem. "And I believe the soul is eternal. But I don't believe in the fiery pit, the pitchforks, or endless torment. I do not believe you can threaten people into goodness."

Tessa looked at will. "What about you? What do you believe?

"Pulvis et umbra sumus," said Will, not looking at her as he spoke. "I believe we are dust and shadows. What else is there?”

Cassandra Clare
“Black hair and blue eyes are my favorite combination.”

Cassandra Clare
“Goodness," Tessa said to the back of his head. "If you keep seeing Six-Fingered Nigel like this, he'll expect you to declare your intentions.”

Cassandra Clare
“Will rolled up his sleeves. "We'll probably have to knock down the door--"
"Or," said Jem, reaching out and giving the knob a twist, "not."
The door swung open onto a rectangle of darkness.
"Now, that's simply laziness," said Will.”

Cassandra Clare
“Well, she's not responding to my advances," he observed more brightly than he felt, "so she must be dead."
"Or she's a woman of good taste and sense.”

Cassandra Clare
“A little girl robbed you?" Tessa said.
"Actually, she wasn’t a little girl at all, as it turns out, but a midget in a dress with a penchant for violence, who goes by the name of Six-Fingered Nigel."
"Easy mistake to make," Jem said.”

Cassandra Clare
“Remember when you tried to convince me to feed a poultry pie to the mallards in the park to see if you could breed a race of cannibal ducks?"

"They ate it too," Will reminisced. "Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck.”

Cassandra Clare
“Must you go? I was rather hoping you'd stay and be a ministering angel, but if you must go, you must."

"I'll stay," Will said a bit crossly, and threw himself down in the armchair Tessa had just vacated. "I can minister angelically."

"None too convincingly. And you're not as pretty to look at as Tessa is," Jem said, closing his eyes as he leaned back against the pillow.

"How rude. Many who have gazed upon me have compared the experience to gazing at the radiance of the sun."

Jem still had his eyes closed. "If they mean it gives you a headache, they aren't wrong.”

Cassandra Clare
“When you find a man you wish to marry, Tessa, remember this: You will know what kind of man he is not by the things he says, but by the things he does.”

Cassandra Clare
“No one expects Will Herondale to live past nineteen, and no one will be sorry to see him go, either -"
That was too much for Tessa. Without thinking about it she burst out indignantly, "What a thing to say!"
Gabriel, interrupted midrant, looked as shocked as if one of the tapestries had suddenly started talking. "Pardon me?"
"You heard me. Telling someone you wouldn't be sorry if they died! It's inexcusable!" She took hold of Will by the sleeve. "Come along, Will. This - this person - obviously isn't worth wasting your time on."
Will looked hugely entertained. "So true."
... Tessa frowned at Gabriel. "I think you owe Will an apology."
"I," said Gabriel, "would rather have my entrails yanked out and tied in a knot in front of my own eyes than apologize to such a worm."
"Goodness," said Jem mildly. "You can't mean that. Not the Will being a worm part, of course. The bit about the entrails. That sounds dreadful.”

Cassandra Clare
“Sometimes," Jem said, "our lives can change so fast that the change outpaces our minds and hearts. It's those times, I think, when our lives have altered but we still long for the time before everything was altered-- that is when we feel the greatest pain. I can tell you, though, from experience, you grow accustomed to it. You learn to live your new life, and you can't imagine, or even really remember, how things were before.”

Cassandra Clare
“Tessa poked at her left incisor with her tongue. It was flat again, an ordinary tooth. "I don't understand what makes them come out like that!"
"Hunger," said Jem. "Were you think about blood?"
"No."
"Were you thinking about eating me?" Will inquired.
"No!"
"No one would blame you," said Jem. "He's very annoying.”

Cassandra Clare
“Drowning yourself won't help, she told herself sternly. Now, drowning Will, on the other hand...”

Cassandra Clare
“So you don't ever get angry at him?"
Jem laughed out loud. "I would hardly say that. Sometimes I want to strangle him."
"How on earth do you prevent yourself?"
"I go to my favorite place in London," said Jem, "and I stand and look at the water, and I think about the continuity of life, and how the river rolls on, oblivious of the petty upsets in our lives."
Tessa was fascinated. "Does that work?"
"Not really, but after that I think about how I could kill him while he slept if I really wanted to, and then I feel better.”

Cassandra Clare
“It's all right to love someone who doesn't love you back, as long as they're worth you loving them. As long as they deserve it.”

10/11/2010 page 197
04/08/2011 page 51
11.0% "Reading this again , yay."
04/10/2011 page 150
31.0% "I love you, Jem."
05/02/2011 page 228
48.0% "Ew, Will."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lea Ivy i wab dis :DD

Brittany Its my favourite book O:

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I love him too, so much more than Will! Just finished reading this again as well. :)

Brittany Yay another Jem fan! He is SO much better than Will ;) . I'm still reading it..again xD;

Krista (One Love) (Critical) I've never been one for saints. They don't really exist.

Brittany Exactly which is why they are legit in books

Krista (One Love) (Critical) Lol. I like characters that seem real.

Brittany I think jem seems more real IMO lol

Krista (One Love) (Critical) Aha! But I never mentioned Will. ;) Truthfully I don't think either of them seems real, but I have a thing for characters that everyone thinks are evil lol.

Brittany Lol! Eh, I like evil characters if they are done properly and to me Will isn't even a bad boy hes just a jerk lol

message 11: by Krista (One Love) (Critical) (last edited Jun 09, 2011 12:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Krista (One Love) (Critical) I don't think he's a bad boy either. Then again, I don't think he's a jerk. I think he purposely ACTS like a jerk lol. If he wasn't so worried about everyone seeing him as a jerk in order to have no friends, then he might actually be pleasant. Silly boy needs to drop the act and just...be.

Brittany Lol I think hes a jerk whether its just an act or not. I HATE characters that do that. Though to be honest, I think if his kind of storyline/character profile wasn't so over-used it wouldn't be so bad.

message 13: by Krista (One Love) (Critical) (last edited Jun 09, 2011 01:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Krista (One Love) (Critical) I actually agree. 'Cause I know what his real personality is like, so it annoys me that Cassie has to put him through the whole "I will act like a jerk to save people from myself!" I mean, who knows, he might actually have a good reason, but it really is over-used. FOR ONCE it would be nice if he actually just went up to Tess and said, "I can't love you even though I do because I think I'm evil. This is why: blahblahblah." Problem solved!

Brittany Lol! Thats SO true! I also hate how similar he is to Jace WHICH is one of the main reasons I don't want him and Tessa to end up together. I really would like to see the nice guy get the girl just ONCE.

Krista (One Love) (Critical) Butbutbut Jace IS nice. Jace is my #1 favorite character of all time lol. And I'm wondering if maybe there's more to Jem than meets the eye. Is he really as perfect as he seems?

Brittany I don't like Jace that much anymore. CoFA killed him for me. Hmmm I think he is.

Krista (One Love) (Critical) Nooo. Jace cannot be ruined. Besides, you can't expect him to be the same after he DIED and was being controlled/invaded by a demon.

Brittany I dunno. After I re-read CoB I just don't find him that appealing anymore.

message 19: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma And then you read the second book and your like..... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?