AJ's Reviews > The Price of Admission: How America's Ruling Class Buys Its Way into Elite Colleges -- and Who Gets Left Outside the Gates

The Price of Admission by Daniel Golden
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Price of Admission.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by teresa (new)

teresa During my daughter's last two years in high school I was reading and thinking a lot about this subject. Rich kids get to go to better public schools (not to even mention those that go to private schools) and get to have extras to put on their apps to show how motivated they are, etc. but really are a product of their parents being able to afford really great programs, etc. for them. I couldn't send my daughter to Smith for a summer high school class, I couldn't send my daughter to Africa during the summer to work tutoring or building houses, or such.
They get to take ACT/SAT prep classes and get ACT/SAT tutors.

Thinking about just gets me crazy. Let me know what you find out and if it is worth a read.

Why are you reading it?

message 2: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ I'm actually almost done with it. Hoping to finish it today so I can return it before heading home for the holidays.

I read about the book on some blog some time ago and it made me curious enough to add it to my "to read" list. It's a bit dry at times, but it really does expose just one more privilege that upper class, famous, well-connected white people have. My favorite part of the book is the chapter about Caltech, Cooper Union and Berea colleges. They are all 100% merit based and turn a totally blind eye to all other factors, and how they still get donations and they don't struggle financially whatsoever.

The book is good, it's actually made me feel almost guilty at being a legacy myself. Although I didn't go to an elite school by any stretch of the imagination, and I am more than certain I would have gotten into RPI regardless (I was in the top 15% of my HS class and got great scores on the SAT and ACT), but, still, I wonder about the blank on the application form where I wrote in my dad's name and class year.

Thinking about all of the privileges that the upper class is privy to makes my blood boil as well, especially the few times I made the mistake of reading the Weekend section of the Wall Street Journal.