Erin's Reviews > A Thousand Sisters: My Journey into the Worst Place on Earth to Be a Woman

A Thousand Sisters by Lisa Shannon

F_50x66
May 17, 10

Read on May 17, 2010

This memoir, which documents Lisa Shannon's attempt to raise awareness of the plight of the woman of Congo, is outrageously inspiring. After hearing about the conditions in Congo on Oprah, Shannon founds an organization called Run for Congo Women, completes a solo 30-mile run to raise funds, and then travels to Congo to meet the women she is sponsoring. I can't even imagine having the kind of heart and courage Shannon has. I am putting down this book humbled and scanning my brain for ways I can be a more generous and loving human being.

Despite an engrossing story, however, the writing was mediocre, and at times, incomprehensible and out of context. This is especially true of the awkward beginning and end to the book. Regardless, if you can get past the beginning and not hold your breath for the end, Shannon finds a sort of rhythm in the middle of the book, as she documents her experiences in Congo. I definitely got into it after a while, and I learned a lot. It is worth your time. Just know that this book is written by someone who has dedicated her life to activism, not professional writing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Sisters.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

King I am in total agreement with you about her writing. Sometimes it feels so disjointed. I am currently 1/4 into the book and am seriously thinking of stopping. Your review has given me a bit of hope however.

Erin I read this book over a year ago, and I still think about it sometimes, so in that respect, it added something to my life. The writing doesn't get much better, but the story does - if that makes sense. It is the story and not the writer that has stayed with me.