Jon's Reviews > The Disciples

The Disciples by James Mollison

May 17, 10

bookshelves: music-stuff, photography, re-reads, humor, 2010-summer-reads
Read in May, 2010, read count: 3

This is a fabulous, fascinating, humorous, and all together enjoyable look at music fans. The photographs of these fans in their fan garb are pretty great. The photos show, and Desmond Morris' forward explains, how fashion is used to show our allegiance to a certain group. Often we get caught making fun of goths or shoe-gazers or whoever for not actually being as individual as they might claim their fashion makes them. This might be true, but this book points out that we're missing the communal/tribal aspect of those "individual" fashions. A fashion is basically the simultaneous expression of the individual as well as the community that individual belongs to - community and individual remain ever connected.

The devotion these people have to their music god(s) is pretty fascinating for me, since I feel pretty passionate about a number of bands (some of them are in this book), but I look at these fans and don't feel that I quite fit into any of these fashion groups. So that's an interesting personal thought that doesn't really relate to the quality of this collection, except to show how Mollision's photographs really make me think about somethings. The title is completely appropriate, for these fans really do seem to be the Devout of the devout. I salute them all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Disciples.