Christina (A Reader of Fictions)'s Reviews > The Forest of Hands and Teeth

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

May 05, 15

Read from May 17 to 22, 2010

Mary lives in a small-fenced in village, certainly reminiscent of the one depicted in M. Night Shyamalan’s film The Village. The difference here though is that leaving the village truly is dangerous. Some sort of infection spread that created zombies, the Unconsecrated. A single bite, even a small one, from a zombie passes the infection. Living humans are barely able to survive behind their fences. The people in Mary’s village live steadfast, worshipful lives of commitment, attempting to increase the population and stay safe. As Mary’s life takes some turns for the worse, she begins to wonder whether the stories of different places that her mom told her as a child have any truth in them; Mary begins to search for answers and for a place without the Unconsecrated. Although this book does include teen romance, it does not contain the garden variety Twilight-ish kind of relationships. Mary does not find complete happiness from a man. In fact, do not expect her life to be an easy one in any respects. This is one of those books that I won’t really know how I feel about until I think back on it in a couple of months. I can say for sure that Carrie Ryan has a much better grasp on composition than some of her counterparts in young adult fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

message 1: by Luke (new) - rated it 1 star

Luke Zwanziger This has been recommended to me a few times. It has been described to me as "The Village" with Zombies. I'm interested to hear what you think about it.

Christina (A Reader of Fictions) I'll let you know when I finish it. :-)

Katelyn I've just started this and really like it so far!

Christina (A Reader of Fictions) Oh hey, we could have a book talk discussion of it as well, then!

message 5: by Ally (new) - rated it 1 star

Ally You have more patience than me. I tried reading this and the whiny, angsty, "poor me" prose was too much to handle. I was rooting for the zombies to eat Mary.

Christina (A Reader of Fictions) Ha! I wish they had!