Lucy Bell's Reviews > Rock Chick Rescue

Rock Chick Rescue by Kristen Ashley

F_50x66
May 19, 10

Read from April 24 to May 14, 2010

The chief protagonist of Rock Chick Rescue, Jet, has a problem with self esteem and consequently with issues of control, over her own life and over the lives of people she loves and feels beholden to.

These are not, in my opinion, rare troubles where women are concerned; very many of us twist ourselves into a pretzel, determined not to need anyone too much but to give out more than we get back. Does this sound at all familiar to anyone reading this? We suffer from low self-esteem, we're not deserving, so we can't trust anyone but ourselves to solve our problems, or even to try to help -and our boundaries are so holey, we don't know what is really our problem and what's not.

The trouble is, since none of us are super-human, we eventually get sick, have to run away, or simply watch our trembling edifice of self-sacrifce start to wobble and collapse, and when that happens, the end can be really dire.

I recognise the compulsion to always be trying to help everyone/do the right thing in myself. And oOne of my many aunties ended her days in a mental home because (having devoted most of her life to the well being of others) she started catching trains and disappearing-she couldn't take any more. To my mind, catching trains and disappearing was the sanest thing she'd ever done. The clever medics (and her family?) disagreed and had her locked away.

Jet's on this path. She loves and feels beholden to her Mother, but she also feels that she owes her scapegrace of a runaway Dad, and she doesn't. She tries to do 2 jobs and also be there for her mum, she fancies Eddie, the drop-dead handsome cop, but thinks he could never fancy her. She has a history of dumping perfectly okay guys, cos she imagines they'll dump her if she doesn't, so she gets her blow in first.

When things start to unravel for Jet, they unravel big time! She has to come to terms with the fact that she can't rescue herself (let alone anyone else) unaided; in fact, things get so bad, it takes a whole posse of people to sort it all out.

There's some very funny stuff in this book, I specially liked the bit about the HAIR, when she and friends go out looking for her Father, who's in danger of his life. And I liked the way she ends up fighting with her sister,although they actually love each other dearly. As the mother of 2 girls, that struck a chord with me.

I didn't give the book 5 stars because Jet keeps telling Eddie she doesn't like him and I don't like him much,either. He's very good at sex, he probably knows exactly what's wrong with Jet, but he never seems to articulate it except by telling her that she's so full of shit. Couldn't she have found someone a lttle more tender? A bit more articulate? As for his Mom...well, she and some other women in the book could have had more to say, I think. They're (dare I say?)dangerously like stereotypes, they don't seem to talk to each other seriously; even Indie (heroine of Rock Chick) doesn't have a single serious conversation with Jet, and I'd bet on Indie being capable of serious conversation.

Hope to hear from others who've read this book. Lucy Bell
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rock Chick Rescue.