Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > Iron Crowned

Iron Crowned by Richelle Mead

Feb 23, 11

bookshelves: genre-urban-fantasy, fae, author-richelle-mead, ebooks, keep-a-spare-pair-of-knickers, shifters, warriors, read-in-2011
Recommended for: UF fans, Fae lovers, Richelle Mead fans
Read from February 22 to 23, 2011, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I’ve been lucky enough to meet and chat with Richelle Mead (and Carrie Jones, both are such sweethearts!) so you can imagine how excited I was to read Iron-Crowned. First things first, I hate UF narrative. I usually find it too simple with too much inner dialogue. But Mead is the only UF author so far that doesn’t bore me. There’s this ease to which she writes and her plotting is beyond anything I could ever come up with. This book blew my mind!

But it didn’t start out that way. It’s been a while since I read Thorn Queen so I forgot a lot of what happened in the previous two books. But it wasn’t too much of a problem because Mead is able to give you a recap of past events without make you feel like you’re reading Dark Swan for Dummies. It’s never redundant or tedious.

There was one thing about this book that bothered me and it was Eugenie. There are times when I want to beat her into submission because of her ego.(Just so everyone knows I am TEAM DORIAN.) I understand that Eugenie was hurt that Dorian left out an important fact about the Iron Crown, but I thought Eugenie reacted like a child. Her wounded pride made her blind to all the war politics while Dorian did what needed to be done during the war. Instead, Eugenie was back in Tuscan, fighting and pretending to live a normal life EVEN THOUGH SHE’S A FREAKING QUEEN! I didn’t think she embraced her titled as Thorn Queen. She pushed all her queenly duties onto Rurik and Shaya. She could have handled it better.

What also pissed me off what the fact that in the midst of her anger towards Dorian, she fucked Kiyo. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, KIYO JUST WANTS EUGENIE FOR SEX! He even says it in three different ways while he’s fucking her.

The ending blew my mind, which shouldn’t be a surprise because IT’S MEAD WE’RE TALKING ABOUT HERE! But after my issue with Eugenie, I was almost going to put this down. I’m so glad I didn’t because the whole pregnancy deal with Kiyo was a worldwind!

Cue rant. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH KIYO!? HOW THE HELL COULD HE DISOWN HIS CHILDREN LIKE THAT? I would’ve killed him as he was beating on Roland. The bastard! And he says it’s “all in the name of good”. My-fucking-ass!

I LOVED that Eugenie was on her knees in front of Dorian, begging for his protection. What Kiyo did, or rather fail to do with Leith and what Dorian failed to mention about the Iron Crown is no match. Kiyo screwed up big time in the last book and he did it again tenfold in this one.

Once again, Dorian wins! 2-0.

I can’t wait to see what happens next!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Iron Crowned.

02/23/2011 page 69
20.0% "I stopped on this page for a reason. Eugenie has LOTS of sex!!! I don't know if I should be jealous that she's getting freaky with Dorian or roll my eyes and say, "AGAIN?!""

message 1: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Hi Annie! I will be excited to find out what you think of this one...I can't wait to read it!

♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness *drools*..mmmmm Vllaaaddddd....I want to suck your cock blood - i meant blood.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Hi Ally! I'm only about 60 pages in but I LIKE IT! I dont usually enjoy UFs much so that's a very good thing!

LOL!! Vladddddd? Sam, you tool! Wrong series! This is RICHELLE MEAD!! Not This Side of the Grave...or unless there's a Vlad in this series too! :P

♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness Oops, still my statement stands.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL! True. Are you reading it?

message 6: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Annie...I am going to hold off reading your review until I read the book. I have a quick question...Does this one end on a major cliffhanger???

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Um...not so much. But some really intense shit goes on.

message 8: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Okay...I can take that, but not a big cliffhanger...LOL!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) No no. Nothing huge like that.

message 10: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Thanks Annie...I will be reading it very soon. I am glad you liked it!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) No problem, Ally! Let me know what you think!

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) Great review!! I'll be reading this next. So excited!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Thanks Francesca! It was another great read by Mead. Guess what I'm starting next? Play of PassionGIMME GIMME DREW!!

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) Lol go enjoy your hot changeling!!! I'll share him with you for tonight ;) You know, while I'm with Bones.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Oh, you're done with Butch? Nice! My turn! LOL.

I still have to read Destined for an Early Grave. Damnit! I'm so behind!

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) o_O You want Butch and Drew? Sounds like you're in for a hot night :)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL! Damn right! Give them to me straight!

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) You have to catch up on NH. . . Bones is what keeps me going, he is oh soooo sexy!!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Cat's narration pisses me off. I like her, but sometimes, they way Frost writes makes me cringe. And theyre fighting mostly in it so that's why I keep putting it off.

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) Yes, book 4 was not the best I agree.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I think the second is my fave.

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) Vlad made book 3 & 4 better for me cuz I love him. And Ian participated a little bit more too which was nice. But I get what you mean about the Cat narration.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I wont lie, there's some hot men in this series! Cat is alright!

I read this one book it's called First Grave on the RightJ.R. Ward pimps them. Reminds me of Night Huntress A LOT!

message 24: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Annie...Did you like First Grave on the Right? Is it something you would recommend too?

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I gave it three stars. Just like how I gave Halfway to the Grave three stars. I dont usually like UF so it was less than spectacular for me. Also because JR ward pimped it and I expected it to be through the roof. It was alright. I wouldn't recommend just yet, but like I said UF isn't my fave genre.

message 26: by Jen (new)

Jen Ah, see Cat/Bones are my favorite series. I like UF only when it has that romance factor. I do not like UF just by itself.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I enjoy romance too so thats why its hard for me to get into a UF. Also, UF narrative annoys me. I dont like first person narrative and I have a hard time caring about the heroine most of the time.

The only exceptions are Mac (Fever), Sabina Kane,and Elena Devereaux (Guild Hunter).

message 28: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Jen...Have you read the Guild Hunter by Nalini Singh? I love, love, love those books too and I know you were looking for some different authors to maybe start. I think that is one of my favorite series along with the Fever books.

Annie...I am just like you and Jen and HAVE to have some romance in my books or it just doesn't work for me!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Guild Hunter is one of my favourite series EVER! I cannot wait for Dmitri's book!! NS is one of my fave authors for sure!

I read a lot of romance. Paranormal romance and historicals are my faves. Though I have read a few YA here and there.

message 30: by Jen (new)

Jen Oh yes I have absolutely read the Guild Hunter series. Love me some Raphael. And Bluebell. And .... I could go on forever about Raphael's Cadre.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL! Like me! Bluebell is my fave! And Venom!!! Rawr!

message 32: by Kristie (new) - added it

Kristie Annie I love the Guild Hunter series. I have not read the Fever Series or the Sabina Kane series yet. I am so behind.

Hope everyones day is going great!

message 33: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Yay! I think everyone is an agreement that the Guild Hunter books are fantastic!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Fever is a good one. I love Mac, but I thought KMM could have shorten the series to three books instead of 5. There's some "Fillers" as I call them that dont really matter to the plot and character development.

Sabina Kane is one of my fave UFs, other than Guild Hunter. It's first person, funny, has romance, and good character dev too.

message 36: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Annie...I have the first 2 Sabina books, but then thought I might not like them. I think I am going to pull them out again after hearing that you enjoy them.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) The third one Green Eyed Demonjust released this week. Unfortunately, for some reason, Canada gets it march 1. So I gotta wait :( Otherwise, i would have devoured it already. Let me know what you think!

message 38: by Kristie (new) - added it

Kristie I think I will be downloading Sabina Kane to my kindle to hopefully read this weekend. We are having a Huskey day at the park on Sat:D

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Sounds like a lot of fun, Kristie!

message 40: by Kristie (new) - added it

Kristie I guess we will see. There will be 8 huskies there. Hopefully they won't cause any trouble. But afterward I will be doing some reading.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I love dogs! I have a shih-tzu. But Huskies are beautiful.

♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness grrr Im such a dumb FUCK! I started reading your review from the bottom up - Dont ask why okay - but I did, and I just fucking ruined bits of the book for myself. Stupid stupid stupid stupid!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Nooo! My review has LOADS of spoilers! It may have been my fauly because I did put some parts in bold. But that's because I was super fucking pisssssssssssssssed!!! Sorry!

♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness Not your fault AT ALL! Who read a review from the bottom up? Well other than me....LMAO! No sweat, I have a short memory so Ill forget what I saw in about an hour.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL! The only time when memory lapses are a god send!

Galla (view spoiler)

message 47: by Rhonda (new) - added it

Rhonda Ally wrote: "Okay...I can take that, but not a big cliffhanger...LOL!"

More like a "to be continued" ending.

message 48: by Rhonda (new) - added it

Rhonda Now that I'm finished, I can read your review.
Good job Annie!!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Thanks Galla! Throughout most of the book I was thinking 4 stars, but the end really sucked me in!

Eugenie, oh lordy this woman PISSED ME OFF! I'm glad you and I see eye to eye on that. What Kiyo did was unacceptable!

THANKS RHONNDA!! xoxo

message 50: by Rhonda (new) - added it

Rhonda Kiyo sucks ass!!
Eugenie...needs to be spanked.
Dorian.....I lurve!