Harpal's Reviews > 100 Cupboards

100 Cupboards by N.D. Wilson

May 17, 10

bookshelves: kids-books
Read in May, 2010

Damn, it's not that often that I read a kids book that just blows me away (Alright, maybe it is pretty often, but that's just because I read way too many kids books).
First: This book is amazingly well written. Almost reminds me of Bradbury. Understated, yet poetic. Much more beautiful and sophisticated writing than you usually find in kids books, definitely not the happy simplicity that you're used to (although I definitely think there is something to be said for happy simplicity as well).
Second: This is actually more like 3 or 4 things, but the tone is just amazing. Just a brilliant mix of mundane and fantastic, creepy and beautiful. Although I will say that the creepy parts grabbed me the best. Some of the scenes sent literal shivers down my spine, they were that friggin' good. I don't want to spoil any of those moments, so I'll just say that this book will remove any thoughts of alien teddy-bears when you hear the word Endor.
Yes, all in all a pretty amazing book. Can't wait to read the others in the series. If only to figure out what the heck was actually going on in this one. Because that's another awesome thing about this book: It never tells you more than the characters know (although it will sometimes cheat by using cats). Only the very surface level is explored in this book. And I have a feeling the layers hiding beneath will be even more interesting.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 100 Cupboards.