Kate's Reviews > Meg

Meg by Steve Alten

May 19, 10

bookshelves: 2010, age-adult, horror
Read from May 17 to 19, 2010

I didn't know this book existed until a library patron requested it. I had to laugh at the title: MEG, like some scary little girl. Meg is short for Megalodon, and since I loved both Jurassic Park and Jaws, I had to give it a try (even if just to get to Meg: Hell's Aquarium because that is possibly the most awesome title ever). In fact, the LA Times summarized the book in two words on the back cover: "Jurassic Shark." Yep, that's about it.

Jonas Taylor was once one of the most respected deep sea divers in the Navy, leading numerous expeditions to the bottom of the deepest trench in the ocean floor. But on one expedition, he saw something that sent him to a mental hospital for three months and turned him into a marine paleontologist. He was convinced that he had seen a Megalodon, a 60-foot prehistoric shark that dwarfs the great white.

When a Japanese company finds several of their new earthquake sensors broken down in the trench, Jonas's expertise is called upon to help the crew. But down in the deepest, darkest depths of the ocean, Jonas finds the monster, and a series of mishaps allows the Meg to escape the trench and rise to the surface, where it begins to wreak havoc.

This was a great gore-fest, and a quick, exciting read. Although the ending was a little far-fetched, it was fun and I'll probably read the next one... and go to see the movie when it comes out.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meg.