Lisa's Reviews > Flu

May 18, 10

bookshelves: 2010, own, braaaains, spooky-spooky-woo-woo
Recommended to Lisa by: Brian Stanton
Read from May 17 to 18, 2010, read count: 1

Oscillating between a 3.5 and a 4, mostly due to me wanting a little more closure come the end but a great, thundering tear through the bleak, unrelenting, post-zombie-uprising apocalypse in Belfast (so I'll be kind and round up!).

Populated by some interesting characters including a punk, some cops, an ex IRA gunrunner and a retired Army Major (who has some rather grim history with the gunrunner) there's a nice line in cynicism and a cause of infection that could have been ripped straight from some of the more horrifying recent tabloid headlines.

Concentrating on the survivors and how they build their relationships, rather than on the actual uprising, the horror (as is best with this genre) comes more from the loss of humanity of the few survivors rather than anything the living dead are doing.

There was some vagueness in places (I kept waiting for some sort of showdown scenario with Pat and the military/police, which kept being hinted at but never panned out) but overall this was an entertaining, undemanding and mostly grimly satisfying read.

A good addition to any zombie fans' collection, so cheers Bri!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flu.