Rose's Reviews > Shadows Return

Shadows Return by Lynn Flewelling

May 29, 10

bookshelves: scifi-fantasy
read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Not enjoying this book was painful for me. I've read, and enjoyed, all of Lynn's other published work. My copies of the first two novels in the Nightrunner series are dog-eared and well-loved. I was so excited to finally have a new Nightrunner novel to read after so many years, to check in with my friends Alec and Seregil at last.

But I didn't want to see them like this, in bondage, separated from each other, angsty. I suspect the homunculus-child was supposed to be kind of spooky but I just found it corny and laughable. The language is spare and lacks the polish and depth of her previous work (not her fault -- apparently the publisher demanded a fairly limited word-count).

Unfortunately, the whole thing reads like fair-to-middling fanfiction, and I was ultimately so put off by this book that I won't be reading any more entries in the series. I'd rather remember Alec and Seregil as brave and dashing adventurers, not a couple of helpless prisoners mired in psychosexual melodrama.

But hey, at least the cover art is fantastic, for a change!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows Return.