O.M. Grey's Reviews > The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker

The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker by Leanna Renee Hieber

May 17, 2010

There are few books that captivate my attention so completely that I’m not only so enthralled with the story that I can’t put the book down, but where I’m also so emotionally wrapped up in the characters that I deeply feel every ounce of their emotions. Where I cry and laugh and even scold them out loud. The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker by Leanna Renee Hieber is one of those books.

It’s about a young girl named Percy who is brilliant in mind and rather bizarre in form. She keeps her deathly pale skin and long white hair as covered as possible, always hiding away to avoid ridicule. Although brilliant, she does have trouble with one subject: mathematics. Her professor, Alexi Rychman, begins to tutor her in the subject. He, unbeknownst to her at the time, is the leader of The Guard, a group of people who are possessed by muses and other supernatural creatures giving them the power to keep order between this world and the Whisper World, a Hades-like underworld. This is all based in Greek Mythology which Ms. Hieber brilliantly weaves into her Gothic tale.

Once hooked, I quite literally could not put the book down. I had to keep reading to experience the love between Alexi and Percy unfold. That ever-forbidden love between professor and student. That line that blurs between duty and ethics because of what the heart and soul desire, and in this case, fate demands. Percy, who had lived a live in a convent because of her shocking, ghost-like pale appearance, was so very lonely that she never knew the kind touch of anyone, let alone a man. Her life was one where if someone were to just touch her hand or hold her to dance was just a thrill beyond anything she had ever dared to dream. Then she meets her Alexi, professor and math tutor. Ms. Hieber lyrically describes their unfolding love and Percy’s longing to not only fit in to some small part of society, but to also be loved, body and mind and soul. It was all beyond Percy’s wildest dreams.

There was a particularly poignant scene where Percy, who can see and hear ghosts, watches a ghostly couple meet over their graves and waltz on their wedding anniversary. My heart ached for her as she watched this couple, now long dead, still meet and celebrate their love. A love she was certain she would never know.

This book is the quintessential Gothic Romance. If you are a fan of Gothic Romance, Steampunk, or Gaslight Romance, I strongly suggest you pick up The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker and follow immediately with its sequel The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker. Leanna Renee Hieber makes it impossible for the reader to do anything but completely fall, head over proverbial heels, into her darkly beautiful world of Gothic Romance, ubiquitous ghosts, and discovered dreams.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker.

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica This is a great review! I just downloaded this from Barnes & Noble as one of their free ebooks...looking forward to reading it. :-)