Roniya's Reviews > The Lady Elizabeth

The Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir

May 17, 2010

it was ok

I'll admit that after having read most of Weir's nonfiction work, I expected alot. Maybe thats why,for me,her foray into another genre fell so flat. The plot doesn't stay strictly historically accurate (at least according to her own nonfiction on Elizabeth) but this could be forgiven if her characters were just more, well, believable. The writing style lacks the immediacy necessary to draw the reader into the plot and connect with the characters, which seem to be somewhat stiff and one-dimensional for my taste.Perhaps for this reason however, there is nothing to add to/hold back from the plot, which trips along at a steady pace, managing to make for very plaintive, easy reading, all the while remaining quite bland.
For those who don't know anything about the basic outline of Elizabeth's life, I will say the story may gain an appeal just for revealing that. However, those already briefed on said facts, who are simply looking to see humanity breathed into familiar characters through a page-turning infusion of emotion and intrigue steeped in the vibrancy Tudor court life, are much better off looking elsewhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady Elizabeth.

01/10 marked as: read