Emery Lee's Reviews > The History of Henry Esmond, Esq.

The History of Henry Esmond, Esq. by William Makepeace Thackeray

May 04, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from September 19, 2010 to May 04, 2011

I could not finish this one. Just too long and drawn out. WMT has tried to throw in everything but the kitchen sink historically speaking and it's just too much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The History of Henry Esmond, Esq..

09/19/2010 page 318
48.0% "I began this as research reading."
01/06/2011 page 318
48.0% "Temporarily put aside for research reading"
03/22/2011 page 1
0.0% "This is a classic by WPT. I read and enjoyed his VIRGINIANS, a sequel to HENRY ESMOND, when I was writing THE HIGHEST STAKES.
This novel is set earlier in the 18th century beginning with Queen Anne's reign and also includes some Jacobite intrigue, although Thackery is known to have painted a rather wicked and debauched picture of James III, compared to a rather pious and pitiful portrayal by most historians."
03/28/2011 page 180
27.0% "p.159 re: the STUARTS
they flung away chances after chances; what treasures of loyalty they dissipated and how fatally they were bent on their own ruin. If ever men had fidelity,'twas they;if ever men squandered opportunity, 'twas they;and of all the enemies they had, they themselves were the most fatal."" 1 comment
04/08/2011 page 286
44.0% "I love this era and all of the history but this book feels soooo loong!! Nevertheless, I will persevere!"
05/03/2011 page 286
44.0% "Put aside once more - so very looong!"
show 4 hidden updates…