Nicole's Reviews > Wolfsbane

bookshelves: signed-by-the-author
Read from July 28 to August 03, 2011 — I own a copy

You can check out this review and many others on my blog, The Reader's Antidote

More like 3.5.

To be honest, there was too much talking and not enough action, and nowhere near as good as Nightshade. Nightshade was full of mystery, a drool-worthy hormone-inducing love triangle, and lots of action. In Wolfsbane, there was a little action, then history lessons for what seemed like hours about things that you were expecting to be explained but never were. Even Calla said at least ten times throughout the book that hearing the Searcher's talk just made her realize how much she didn't know about them. It would have been nice if some of that had been cleared up. I understand that it creates mystery and should be intriguing, but honestly it just bored me.

Okay, enough ragging on this book. It was still a wonderful novel and was rich in lore and the depth of Andrea's own world that she's created. I went to a signing of hers, and I found out that she has a PHD in history! I had no idea, but it explains why she's so into this rich history and culture.

The addition of the new characters intrigued me, though I was focused specifically on Connor and Adne, a couple teenage searchers that Calla is forced to play nice with. I want to know what happened in their pasts, and if there's any chance of them being together. Like maybe the way Shay and Calla were together... *blushing* you'll have to wait for the spoilers to know exactly what I'm entailing there.

The last quarter of the book was magnificent. It was exactly what I had been looking for the whole time I was reading it, and I'm glad my action and high-intensity scenes showed up. I was beginning to worry. There was plenty of action, plot twists, and even some steamy scenes. The last half also hurt the most. I found myself shaking my head, and whispering "no" to the book, like it could actually hear me. Now this stuff I understood. In the first three-fourth's of this book, the author is giving us all this information about the Searcher's and Keeper's past, but it wasn't explained enough so I lost interest. What interested me is the character twists and emotions in the last half. That kept me on the edge of my seat.

It's definitely worth it to read this second installment in the Nightshade series. Don't give up, even if it gets to be too much to take, the ending is definitely worth it. I cannot wait for Bloodrose!

*SPOILERS*
I feel that now it's appropriate to say that I do not like the new covers. This isn't exactly a spoiler, since I can't imagine anyone is satisfied with them. The original covers were beautiful and alluring and so striking that sometimes I'd just stare at it for a few minutes. I even wrote a poem from the Lillie's on the front of the Nightshade cover. Nicely enough, I requested the hardcover version of the new style of books so that the series would match and it came a day or so ago. I just wish they had stuck with the same theme.

When did I get so ranty?!

Things that shocked me:
~ Monroe was Ren's father. Monroe is Adne's father, as well as a searcher. Apparently Ren's mother came to him and asked him to kill her. He told her the stories of all that the Keeper's had kept from them and they created a strong bond. Ren's mother was killed when the Keeper's smelled a rebellion, but the child, Ren, was saved. And it turns out, Monroe and Corrine turned out to be more than friends. I wonder if Ren knows...

~ Ansel, Calla's brother, being the traitor among the Searcher's. I can't believe that, even after the Keeper's took his wolf essence away from him, that he believed he could get it back by betraying his own kin. Like they'd ever even considered remaking him in the first place. I have a new hate for the Keeper's.

~ Calla's mom dying while their father watched helpless. I think that's self-explanatory.

~ Ren's reaction to seeing Calla and her reaction to him. He legitimately tried to kill her. He's more brainwashed than I thought. And how Calla totally just got lost in his kiss... in my head I was screaming "NO!", but at the same time (before the encounter) I wanted to see if she could even begin to try and work it out with Ren.

~ Calla and Shay finally...well...do I have to say it? It's not that they don't love each other. They just seemed to do it when they were both coming off some crazy emotions that I'm not sure either of them were very rational. I also thought it was strange that, since Shay is a wolf now, he's in contention for the Alpha title along Calla, and by doing this, she essentially chose him over Ren. At least that's what the few that were left of her packmates said. I can't wait to see how that turns out!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolfsbane.

07/29/2011 page 73
18.0% "sigh dialogue bores me"
07/31/2011 page 167